Drilling through tiles

Daedalus

The heat generated when drilling porcelain is the number one reason that they break when being drilled. A water bottle hand spray and a diamond bit is essential, particularly when the hole is within an inch or two from the edge of the tile. 

Is it ceramic or porcelain, do you know?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

+1 to the "arrow shaped" drills.  these are them http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-tile-glass-drill-bit-set-3pcs/53634

I have been using a set for years, they just work, have not yet found a tile they won't drill through.

They lasted 1 hole on my porcelain tiles. Had to go for a proper bit in the end which went through it in no time.

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Is it ceramic or porcelain, do you know?

Porcelain and I've got about 2 dozen holes to do throughout the bathroom once the tiles are eventually finished.

I'll give the cheaper arrow shaped ones recommended by Dave a quick go and see how far I get.

Our plumbers have burned through tens of diamond bits this week while drilling the porcelain tiles - even taking it slow and using water. They've switched to cheaper arrow bits and are making much better progress.

I have been using the cheap arrow headed ones from Toolstation. Bought the set and a 10mm one too. All good.

Also got a couple of grit edged hole saws which I use for copper pipe through tiles.

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

Our plumbers have burned through tens of diamond bits this week while drilling the porcelain tiles - even taking it slow and using water. They've switched to cheaper arrow bits and are making much better progress.

Theyre doing something wrong then. 

I've got bits that I've lent to mates and had back and are still drilling holes. My 30mm one is at least a year old and does between 5 and 7 holes per job. That's through porcelain and ceramic. 

Just use plenty of water and keep the tile cool. A damp sponge works well also. 

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Tell him to stop buying the cheap diamond bits. Iv been useing the same one for probably 2 years now without a problem. 

The brand has worn off it now. But it was one of the thicker walled ones with wax in the Center. (6mm)

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Theyre doing something wrong then. 

I've got bits that I've lent to mates and had back and are still drilling holes. My 30mm one is at least a year old and does between 5 and 7 holes per job. That's through porcelain and ceramic. 

Just use plenty of water and keep the tile cool. A damp sponge works well also. 

No idea why, is there a preferable drill speed? They were using plenty of water and it was taking them ages. Tiles are not fancy, own brand from our local shop (£33/sqm) but very decent quality.