Floating shelf brackets

ProDave

I am planning the big flat screen tv mounting arangement, and need to fix a shelf to the wall just under the tv for a few things to sit on, nothing heavy, so want this to be a "floating shelf" i.e no visible fixings.

Searching for brackets the best I have come up with so far is this sort of thing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOATING-SHELF-BRACKETS-CONCEALED-HIDDEN-SUPPORT-SCREW-MOUNTING-PLATE-4-SIZES/122922468858?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52543%26meid%3Db24d56bba48a4dacb055152d9692ed71%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D181248545052%26itm%3D122922468858&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I could fix those to the wall before the plasterboard goes on, so all that sticks out is the round bar and drill matching holes in the shelves.

Ideally I would like something with a smaller bar, that one is 12mm diameter and the shelves are only 19mm thick.

Alternatively something similar but with a flat bar that the shelf just sits on, not quite "floating" but discrete.

Any ideas?

It's not quite that simple (it never is)  The shelves I am using are a lot thinner, 19mm, to match with something else. So I can't buy a packaged solution, I am trying to make my own solution to suit what I am using as a shelf.

I wanted a similar shelf under the TV in our kitchen/dining room, and as that's a stud wall, and as I'd already fitted a bit of plywood between the studs in the wall (behind the plasterboard) the TV was centred between two studs.  I made up an oak box, with the lower edge projecting into the room, but with around half of the depth of the box set inside the stud wall.  This box/shelf just houses the Freesat box and somewhere for the remote controls to live. 

Not a solution that would work for an outside wall, but works well on a stud wall.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I wanted a similar shelf under the TV in our kitchen/dining room, and as that's a stud wall, and as I'd already fitted a bit of plywood between the studs in the wall (behind the plasterboard) the TV was centred between two studs.  I made up an oak box, with the lower edge projecting into the room, but with around half of the depth of the box set inside the stud wall.  This box/shelf just houses the Freesat box and somewhere for the remote controls to live. 

Not a solution that would work for an outside wall, but works well on a stud wall.

Actually what I am trying to achieve is very similar. In my case it is to house the amplifier for the surround sound system, and the front speakers for it.

I have already set a box or "pocket" into the wall so the front of the pocket will be flush with the finished wall, but the surround sound amp is deeper than I can accomodate, so there will be an additional shelf in front of that, and extending wider than the pocket.

It is how to attach this shelf without big clunky looking brackets.

A bit more searching has found these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-4-Concealed-Shelf-Supports-Metal-Brackets-Floating-Hidden-Masonry-Walls/273035824638?hash=item3f92340dfe:m:mtAhGdc51vpD3fc6c_o7tLw

9mm diameter bar, so would probably drill a 10mm hole in the shelves,  These are intended tor masonry, but looking at the picture it looks as though the bit that goes into the wall is in fact a threaded rod and rawl plug arrangement, so remove the rawl plug bit and it looks like a threaded rod that could screw into the wood.

I used the "brackets" I linked to a few posts ago.

Here is the "pocket" already in the wall and the pins screwed in place.  As I guessed, the bit that goes into the wall is an M6 thread, that screws nice and snug into a 5.5mm hole drilled into the wood.

tv_shellf_1.thumb.jpg.375cdbe83ad35c8afd0b11fbe1c9e9f0.jpg

The shelf slides onto those pins.  I drilled 9.5mm holes to make it a less snug fit.  It is important to drill these carefully, I used the pillar drill. Not much room for error drilling a 9.5mm hole into a 19mm thick shelf.

tv_shelf_2.thumb.jpg.2d88730935d9b6596f57e54f8957d371.jpg

And this it what is it for. The surround sound unit and the front speakers.  The tv will be mounted on the wall immediately above, and as near to touching (but not quite) the front centre speaker as I can get it.

tv_shelf_3.thumb.jpg.cf168b40973ffda047bcf764f1745b5f.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...