My parents recently got rid of their old Fiat Panda and without consulting me and got a 2008 Chevrolet Tacuma auto ...... my dad was talked into getting an auto by my sister who only had good intentions and this was in the local garage..... it’s been problematic and has now developed a problem where it won’t start intermittently and now not at all. ALL tests with computer diagnostics have revealed NOTHING and they are left without a car in a fairly remote location. Even if they can get it fixed they want rid of it. They have asked me for ideas on a new or preferably low mileage second hand car.

There specification is

1. as simple as is possible

2. Non automatic

3. Four to five seats

4. My dad is a big man, NOT FAT at all but old fashioned big bloke so needs to be easy to get in and out, not a tiny car.... 

4. They would like to only spend £10k but could stretch to £20k if absolutely necessary but reluctantly. 

I have suggested a Ford Connect Combi (swb) short wheel bace with the row of seats in the back and windows in the back. This makes things easy as it’s got storage in the back is a very common make so parts and servicing should be easy.

they have had a look at pictures and really like the concept. 

Are there any car experts on here that can give me any advise as to the wisdom of my suggestion ? Or any does anyone have an alternative suggestion ? They are not fussy but really want a reliable car that’s going to last them until they stop driving, dads about 80. 

Thanks for any advice or suggestions 

pic for reference of the car I am talking about.    

60A0A9D5-66D0-44CB-B8B6-F7ACF1B31899.jpeg

How much does your dad rely on his rear view mirror rather than side mirrors.  Suddenly not being able to use a rear view mirror could be a potential issue 

I think I might be swayed by which one has the most local garage, even if not on the next corner, and by which has a nice grandfathered £20-30 per year tax.

There is a big difference for repair or service between say 5-10 miles and 30-40 miles if there is a problem.

Is it also worth looking at something relatively new that has several years still on the manufacturer warranty and/or service plan? These currently go out to 5-7 years or 100k miles for some cars.

eg https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/cars-with-good-warranties-0170

From the brand I am buying, I would point to a Skoda Yeti or a Roomster.

Are there any tech or other features that they would really benefit from that would help them in their driving? eg electric rear tailgate or blindspot warning beeper or more trad. things like a low boot lip and flat floor?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I haven’t driven that specific vehicle but I know LOTS of people with vehicles like that. The one of choice seems to be the VW Caddy Maxi. Here are some relevant comments from a group I belong to:

• Love my VW caddy maxi drives like a car, economical and spacious

• Love my VW Caddy Kombi, loads of space, very comfy

• Just get a caddy. Don't even look at anything else as nothing comes close to caddy's. When you look for one. Make sure it hasn't had the emissions update if it's 2011 or newer. Also you can do loads to a caddy for very little cost to make it into a great day van. If you're going to fit a leisure battery, the blue motion and stop start models won't take a split charge relay. If you come across a light blue one (ex British gas) most of them have limiters fitted (look under the bonnet, there should be an odd looking loose, small box with wires coming out of it) which really stifle the performance and will cost anything up to £300 to get removed.

• I've got a caddy maxi kombi and love it. 2L version with 5 seats.

• Ive got a caddy maxi, drives like a car, very similar on fuel economy to my old focus estate, a sliding door at both sides which is a biggy for me, vw reliability. Small enough to get in most multi storey carparks

• Don't get a transit connect, was the biggest pile of crap we've ever had.

Just be a bit careful about where it came from. White van man rules even in this territory. Most people I know who have them show dogs so have them to transport their multiple dogs to shows and these have a lot of room. They are also used for towing though so be mindful of that too. 

In my experience you soon get used to not using a rear view mirror TBH. 

Citroen Berlingo (or Peugeot Partner) with a 1.6 HDi diesel engine. Cheap and cheerful. Easy to get in and out. For £10k, you could get a 2015 model. Plenty available. Been driving mine for 12 years. Just as uncool as a Ford Connect. Here's one in Glasgow

I’m not 100% certain about the VW models. I think one comes with rear seats and one doesn’t (but can be retrofitted). 

Loads of Facebook groups for all of these vehicles so if you get close to narrowing down have a peruse on the groups for any gotchas. 

Firstly let me make it clear that historically, I have an issue with French cars.  Just don't like them, i think they're generally lazy and there's usually some area that is overlooked, or poorly executed even if expertly conceived.

We just got a Citroen C4 Picasso, 3.5 year old on a 63 plate, a smidgen under 30 thousand miles. Silver, not a mark on it, 4 virtually new tyres, virtually spotless interior, Bluetooth, reversing cameras and a couple of other bits and pieces like folding mirrors. 8 Grand at a dealer. I'm not saying there aren't better cars, but if you compare cars at that age, for that price, I don't think you'll get more car, unless you go way up in miles or way down on condition.

If you decide on new...

Once you have narrowed down the spec and got quotes from local dealers consider getting some from online brokers such as  https://www.drivethedeal.com/ (had two cars from them) or https://www.carwow.co.uk (no experience). The price I paid for my last one (March 2018) was much better than any local dealers could offer me. Difference paid for a nice upgrade. The downside of going online is you don't usually know where the dealer is located until you have signed up. Nor will they do part exchange. They will deliver the car but I prefer to go collect it. You typically pay a £500 deposit on a credit card to the broker so should be covered if they go bust before car is delivered (haven't checked this!). Paid the balance direct to the dealer 24 hours before collection.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Last new car I bought I got a price from Drive the Deal, then challenged two local dealerships to match it.  The nearest one pretty much told me to just go away, stating that Toyota didn't allow them to sell at less than full list price (which I believe is illegal, if true), the second dealership agreed to match the Drive the Deal price.

I have hired a Skoda Roomster. The main issue was that it is very very ugly.

I have also hired a VW Caddy. It was pretty nice.

Personally I would go for a Hyundai Tuscon or if that's a bit pricey a Hyundai IX 35. They are reliable and look good. Plus a 7 year warranty.

Blimey it’s a mind field and it’s only getting more complicated...... I appreciate the help but one can get seriously confused by all the choices and personal recommendations.......  but I am thankful .... if not a lot more unclear about a choice of car !  

The less gimmicks the better as he really does not need them and will not use them

specious for  the driver / slightly elevated view rather than a tiny small car that you are low down in. 

Looks are not important 

low milage if second hand 

must be a mainstream vehicle 

am following up all recommendations

thanks  

+1 for citroen, loved the older, proper ones, however, take a serious look at kia, seven year warranty or balance of, a soul is a good roomy size. we had one, well specced and with reversing camera.

I am on my third Kia in a row. Fantastic cars...two Sportages now the Niro Hybrid.

12 hours ago, Cpd said:

Blimey it’s a mind field and it’s only getting more complicated...... I appreciate the help but one can get seriously confused by all the choices and personal recommendations.......  but I am thankful .... if not a lot more unclear about a choice of car !  

The less gimmicks the better as he really does not need them and will not use them

specious for  the driver / slightly elevated view rather than a tiny small car that you are low down in. 

Looks are not important 

low milage if second hand 

must be a mainstream vehicle 

am following up all recommendations

thanks  

It is a good call by Jeremy if you have a new one. 

I now have a date for mine, and they matched Carwow.

Do not know what Jeremy got, but my reduction was 22% below list plus a very good finance package and 2 years servicing included plus a few more bits and pieces. It could have been 25% below list but I had a number of options which were not so discounted. That discount should cover the first year or so of depreciation.

For a pre-reg or demonstrator I would now want 30%+ below current list.

I agree - it does all seem to be getting remarkably complicated. It may simplify again now that they are required to do hundreds of EU fuel consumption tests on all the material variations.

In addition on mine at least (VAG) there are umpteen extras that can be switched on from a menu option once you get hold of the dealer diagnostic software - you just need to have selected the cheaper options that incorporate eg the extra cameras needed.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

and if going "nearly new" I'd put a recommendation in for Motorpoint. I'd never dealt with a car supermarket before and had a stellar experience with them getting SWMBO's current car, a Citroen C4.

Couldn't find the colour & spec she wanted in NI and found a great looking example @ Motorpoint over near Gateshead. Took the old car over on the ferry,  drove over, got it Mot'd at a local Kwikfit ( not enough left on the previous to satisfy and little chance it'd have passed the NI test...), after which they were happy to go with their quoted p/ex figure- which was extremely fair- and we drove off. Saved the best part of 2k even after ferry, fuel, and a night in a nice hotel.

The icing was the paperwork. Whilst they had confirmed it was an ex-Avis car, the chit in the back of the service book proved it'd been de-fleeted not by Avis but Citroen UK with a full "Citroen Approved" signoff inc service and bodywork remediation.

14 hours ago, Cpd said:

A rear view camera would be useful at his age, they are now mandatory on all new cars in the US. A bonus is the projected reversing path overlay on the display which instantly updates to reflect adjustment to the steering wheel.

I would also value a simple two-button keyfob as my last Jaguar keyfob was an over engineered multi button UI disaster.

33 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A rear view camera would be useful at his age, they are now mandatory on all new cars in the US. A bonus is the projected reversing path overlay on the display which instantly updates to reflect adjustment to the steering wheel.

I would also value a simple two-button keyfob as my last Jaguar keyfob was an over engineered multi button UI disaster.

What about things like auto-park and others?

My new car is coming with several things aimed at stopping me making silly mistakes, or for extra convenience, some of which I did not know even existed until this year:

Variable boot floor

Rear view parking camera

Virtual pedal- this opens the boot door if you wave your foot while having the remote key on your pocket

steering wheel with paddles - flappy paddle autobox

park assist - this is auto park after you have idled past the space

Traffic sign recognition - this flags up speed limits to stop me inadvertently breaking the limit

rear backrest release  - put down back seat from inside boot

There is all sorts of other stuff available, including an auto-retracting parcel shelf when the boot is opened, auto-headlight-dip, too close to the car in front warning, lane assist and a side radar when reversing out of drives, and so on.

I am not saying he needs it all, but certain elements may be useful. If it is intended to last, it may be worth taking the extra time.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

What about things like auto-park and others?

Well indeed, however the OP seemed adverse to gadgets so I just promoted the most compelling item of new car technology i.e. rear view cameras.

Discussions about fully autonomous AI driven cars can trigger heated debates when in practice in-car AI is arriving incrementally today.

Top of my list would be:

1. Review view camera with path projection (not AI).
  2. Lane wander assist.
  3. Driver fatigue sensor and wheel shake.
  4. Traffic sign reading.
  5. Low speed auto brake.
  6. Auto park.

• Like 1

I just went through the process of getting a new car for my parents in their 70s. My dad was struggling getting in and out of the smaller doors on many cars.

We settled on a small people carrier type of car. They didn't want an SUV, I wanted them to get a Skoda Karoq. They got a BMW 2 Series which wasn't my choice but suited them.

In my research I found that from a head rather than heart view probably the best of this type of car was the Golf SV. A car that is terminally dull to look at but spacious and sensible.

We too  bought from a broker, Broker4cars. I use broadspeed.com to check prices as they make it very easy to search on line, but they didn't have such a good discount on the car we bought. I have bought 7 or 8 cars from brokers over the last 15 years now for various family members.

I am a big fan of the back up camera, but other than that I would avoid almost all electronics as they simply won't get used. My wife barely uses them, never mind my parents. My car does have auto parking and it works fantastically well, but takes a bit of getting used to to understand how it works.

You will know your parents better, what size of car would they like, do they like ti use gadgets etc.

One thing I would look for is good Xenon or LED headlights if possible, LED is unlikely at this price point. Older people really struggle to see in the dark and I think it is an important safety point.

I am surprised that you say no automatic, it makes a car much easier to drive. A modern automatic is a big difference to a 2008 Chevrolet.

For low hassle I would tend to go Japanese or Korean, on average they are much more reliable, although smaller simpler cars tend to be more reliable anyway.

Cars I would look at that are that bit taller and easier to get in and out of and can be bought new in the £10-15000 range or cheaper if you go a couple of years older.

Honda Jazz

Hyundai IX20

Kia Venga

Second hand I would look at the 

Golf SV

Citroen Aircross

• Like 1

Many hours of internet research .......  I have looked at all the recommendations and various close compressions 

I keep coming back to the SKODA Yeti

‘I can find various ones in petrol 1.2   (2016)  for about £13 -£14000 with aprox 20k on the clock. 

‘I like them be because they have a good driving position, plenty of room, very good reviews, 

am I barking up the wrong tree ? 

Thanks  

Did top gear magazine not vote them the best 2nd hand car on the market.

I remember top gear giving them a very good review (which is good as t does not have a v8).

Well it’s a done deal. 2016 Skoda Yeti heading over the border for the first time in a few years...... destination Oxford ! Train down and drive back up. Thanks for all the input.