Shower screen sizes - advice please

Just ordering shower screens and could do with some advice on gap sizes / screen lengths.   All for shower trays (with tanking planned down the walls to the tray, but not on the actual bathroom floor where you get out of the shower - unless someone says this is advisable?)

Shower 1: 1500 x 800 tray (to be tiled on 3 sides leaving the 1500 length untiled).  What length screen should I get?  900mm, leaving a 600mm entrance in.  Or 1000mm, leaving a 500mm entrance in.  

Shower 2: 1500 x 900 tray with a 450 x 900 tiled floor area at the end (to be tiled along the 900 and 1500 sides)  What length screen to get?  1400mm or shorter so can get into shower via the tiled floor at the end or side?   Or screen off the 900 end?   Am worried about the shower spraying out the end of the tray......

Shower 3: 1200 x 800 tray only tiled on 2 sides.  Full enclosure not desired by claustrophobic teenager.  Screen the 800 end and screen 700mm of the 1200mm side?  Or just a side screen?  Will the water spill out the back of a 1200mm tray?

Thanks

Images would be better I agree.  Here we go.

Shower 1: 1500 x 800 shower tray.  Does anyone think that 600mm is more appropriate than a 500mm gap?

(a skinny teenager will be using it primarily but I may want to welcome larger visitors......)

image.png.0893cef3dcb7f0d1e747f8b4b4617724.png

Shower 2: looks like a wetroom on the drawing but we are planning on a 1500 x 900 shower tray.  The length is just over 1900mm and there aren't any trays that fit that space perfectly.  Thought we'd go a bit shorter and maybe use the end space for something (if it isn't getting wet).

image.png.a692b91030573d0a963bef51bf73cd82.png

Shower 3: Have had to reduce shower tray to 1200 x 800 as the shower waste on every other size kept hitting the joists.

So now there is a gap of about 300mm (shaded in yellow).  Should we screen off that bit - will the water come out the back of the shower?

image.png.27d59af60d661aacae010f85e1f3c3cb.png

I have two en suites similar to the first picture, see below. I designed them with a 1000mm screen and 600mm gap but the bulkhead was built wider than it should have been so the gap ended up being around 500mm. I thought it looked narrow but it works fine. The bathroom people were adamant that the water would come around the end of a 900mm screen. I think in terms of hassle the narrower gap and not soaking the floor is better. Very little water comes around the end of a 1000mm screen, most of the water transfer comes from wet people getting out of the shower.

For the second room, I'd try to get a 1700x900 tray and build a bulkhead at the end to take a niche for shampoo and pipework. The bulkhead would match the one behind the WC at the other side and frame the bath. Especially for a longer shower like that I would want the controls on the side wall across from the entrance and the head at the end, do you have a cavity to run the pipes in and put the valve into? It looks like that is an outside wall on the side and end of the shower. If you cannot make room in the side wall for the valve it would go in a bulkhead. A 1000mm or 1100mm screen would be fine here.

In the third one I'd just tile the 300m of floor, not much water will get more than 1200mm back.The back wall doesn't really get wet on mine, but I think I'd want to tile it also. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a shower tray that works at 1500mm, it might just require getting onto Google for an hour.

In all three I would try and put the controls opposite the entrance if possible and in the two with bulkheads I would have a niche in the bulkhead to store shampoo etc. I had a picture to hand of one of my ensuites, the shower controls are at the end as the wavy tiles aren't flat enough for them.

image.png.4bb99f799fce6f699586a8f6b97dc83f.png

Edited by AliG

9 hours ago, Weebles said:

Shower 1: 1500 x 800 tray (to be tiled on 3 sides leaving the 1500 length untiled). 

I'd wait until it's been tiled before measuring for this one.

Edit: Ah ok I see you're just having a screen not screen and door. That's less critical.

Edited by Temp

Thanks @AliG. Have gone for the 1000mm screen on the 1500 tray (shower 1). Have taken your advice and upsized to a 1700 shower tray for shower 2. Not done final decision on screen but will prob put in 1000 or 1100. And will tile the end wall. There is a cavity for the valve so that works well.

Shower 3 tray and screen is for another day.

Thanks for input, really helpful to know that a 500mm gap is fine.

There does seem not seem to be any space around the double basin in shower 2.

Where will all the gubbins go?

I do not know what others think about the working area that is needed, but eg where will you stand things.

Hopefully the middle oval is the basin , so there is space around.

F

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

@Weebles just be cautious about big screens - check they will actually go through doors and up staircases, especially if there are any turns.

Yup. Last one had us taking the doorstops off the door linings to get the screen through diagonally. Lot of painting and repairs afterwards. 

On 09/10/2018 at 23:06, Weebles said:

Will the water spill out the back of a 1200mm tray?

I wondered this with ours, 1200 x 800 tray with 1200 shower screen but we added a flipper panel at 300mm to stop water tracking along the screen and ending on the floor. In reality it works very well (originally I wanted a door) and am very pleased, glad we didn’t get a door in the end.

On 09/10/2018 at 23:27, Weebles said:

The length is just over 1900mm and there aren't any trays that fit that space perfectly

Diamond do an 850 x 1800 and you can make the end up with a suitable filler material with ease. 

I made this airing cupboard to house a Vaillant 938 combi and then looked at the gap left to see how big a wetroom I could make. The diamond was the weapon of choice and the gap was 2000mm or just short of iirc. 

The gap was at the end, and I just made it up by shuttering and pouring some very wet flexible tile adhesive over another layer of plywood. The end was benched very slightly to match the fall in the tray. Worked well and gave a huge shower. 

F70ED5C6-1691-4783-96E4-6DB310BCCB63.thumb.jpeg.92831bc839dbca4176039cb6a823c271.jpegE9FDC7C6-E432-4C1A-9AC9-22CD3CBA5AF3.thumb.jpeg.8fc7d554755a9c968981e1220facb168.jpeg7BD23FF1-B9A7-4416-8190-EBA36F6A818F.thumb.jpeg.ce334247615e81a109bb590612a54e6b.jpeg

Link

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

There does seem not seem to be any space around the double basin in shower 2.

Where will all the gubbins go?

I do not know what others think about the working area that is needed, but eg where will you stand things.

Hopefully the middle oval is the basin , so there is space around.

F

The space is about 1600mm but we have chosen a double basin unit that is only 1250mm so the towel rail etc can be on either side.  There is space in a behind the wall void for all the pipework /waste.  If gubbins means toiletries and the like, the basin is the inset bit so there is room round the outside for that.  We did look at a large 1500mm double unit with huge basins but lack of space for gubbins was the main concern.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I wondered this with ours, 1200 x 800 tray with 1200 shower screen but we added a flipper panel at 300mm to stop water tracking along the screen and ending on the floor. In reality it works very well (originally I wanted a door) and am very pleased, glad we didn’t get a door in the end.

@joe90  Wish we could fit 1200mm plus 300mm in but it won't give her any room to get into her shower.  Can get a 1000mm screen in but could def extend to the full 1200mm with a flipper panel (but def adds cost....) 

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

@Weebles just be cautious about big screens - check they will actually go through doors and up staircases, especially if there are any turns.

Thanks @PeterW.  Hadn't thought of that.  We'll probably want to get them upstairs using our straight temporary stairs, before we fit the permanent ones that will turn half way.

15 hours ago, Weebles said:

Thanks @PeterW.  Hadn't thought of that.  We'll probably want to get them upstairs using our straight temporary stairs, before we fit the permanent ones that will turn half way.

You will need to check that too, for when it gets broken.

(Said the clumsy person).