the_r_sole

Venetian plaster? Its a waterproof plaster with marble dust mixed in which allows various colours. It's very tough and easy to clean. No joints, grout, plastic cover strips, etc. Looks sharp but not the cheapest option.

We used Multipanel (https://www.multipanel.co.uk/products/walls ) in our old house to finish all the walls in the bathroom, and we've were so impressed with it after around 5 years of use that we chose to do the bathroom and shower room in the new house with it as well.  I fitted a plain sandy coloured panel in the shower room, and we're every bit as pleased with it as we were with the stuff in the old house. 

One thing I particularly like with Multipanel is that it has a 9mm hardwood ply core, rather than the MDF that some other types of panel use.  As a system it's very good, with the exception of the truly awful bottom seal system they offer, for going around baths and showers.  That is one of the most stupid designs I've seen, and was the only thing we had problems with in the old house.  In the new house I opted to not use their sealing system for the bottom edges at all, but left a small gap where the panel met the shower tray (having tanked under the try and up the walls).  I then went around and filled this gap with sealant, then when that had cured I went around again with another bead of sealant and whilst that was still wet used it to bond a PVC trim in place, cleaning up the squeezed out sealant.

• Like 1

We fitted a glossy finish in the old house, and it looks OK, but is a bit of work to keep looking clean all the time, although far less work than cleaning grotty grout between tiles.

I fitted matt, slightly textured, finish panels in a sand coloured shade in the new house and they look lot nicer, and are less hassle to keep looking OK.

• Thanks 1

We went with a lightly textured multipanel, finding one that complemented our choice of tiles. Very impressed with it, a breeze to keep clean. 18 months on, looks as good as the day it was fitted. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

I would now use Multipanel unless I discovered a very good reason not to do so, for reasons of longevity and ease of maintenance; I have one rental where it has been in since about 2012 and is still fine.

But I would really love to about potential alternatives if you discover any that are better.

Ferdinand