Should I add an external pedestrian garage door?

While considering the rear garage door, I remembered previously thinking about an external pedestrian door towards the front of my garage. The front garage door will be a single large door and the rear one will be around 2.5.

I'm thinking maybe a standard sized door in the location marked in yellow might be sensible, which would be either a standard composite door or a steel door.  What do you guys think??

garage door.jpg

Interesting.. I have an external garage pedestrian door as well as two large car doors. The car doors are have electric openers. 

We hardly ever use the pedestrian door as it is so much easier to just press the button we are nearly always carrying and go out the car door even if we are walking or gardening etc 

So in my experience save the cash and use it to fund automatic openers

Just found @Vijay‘s new car. (*)

ferrari-limo-review.jpg

My previous detached cottage would fire across that, at 6m by 4m outside dimensions (ish).

On the door, I do not see the point of one next to the main door .. unless you plan to block up the garage doors with Classic cars being rebuilt etc, and you also have two other entrances for if the doors are stuck shut.  I think I can see a strong argument.. if you still able to do so ... for making the garage/house door wider, as that may be a route in for carrying bulky goods or furniture, and the extra cost would be minimal.

Ferdinand

(*) I can talk ... a friend has got his Skoda Estate a bit earlier than me having had small people carriers for years. Wife remarked that it was sticking out at the front in the Tesco car park, and it turned out to be be sticking out at the back too.

Edited by Ferdinand

lol it's just a dream of mine to have a nice big garage/workshop as I love my tools and gadgets. It's probably more important than the house!!! :D

I couldn't work out why the door between the house and garage was small so that's already been increased to an 838 door to match all other downstairs internal doors.

The garage doors will be electric but I may have extra security locks on the garage doors, so that would be a good reason to have the pedestrian door. I really don't know which way to go so maybe the best thing is to put the rebar in for the lintel over a door and cut it out later if I decide to???

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vijay said:

but I may have extra security locks on the garage doors, so that would be a good reason to have the pedestrian door. I

Thats a very good reason, I intend to add internal locks to my electric roller shutter door as it does not seem that secure. I once had a garage broken into that had a normal up and over, scrotes folded one corner of the door up and crawled in and took every power tool.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I have a Pedestrian door next to the main garage door and use it all the time!.

Me too. Have an electric door at front and manual at back. The pedestrian door is at right angles to the utility door so gets a lot of use. All Hoorman doors so pretty secure. 

what's the view on doors within garage doors? I'm going to have as best insulated sectional doors as I can get.

I've never been a huge fan of the way they look but might be another option I should consider

Edited by Vijay

13 minutes ago, Vijay said:

what's the view on doors within garage doors?

Not good within sectional doors, clearly.

Might be worth a look into the Secured by Design police project as it applies to Garage Doors. It is quite an old standard and I do not know how good that is in 2018 terms. The site includes a directory of suppliers.

http://www.securedbydesign.com/?post_type=product&s=garage+door

I do recall that some (electric?) shop roller shutters proved Rioter-proof in London in 2011.

And some people would feel right at home ?

door-within-door.jpg.f46c9319cdea8fc0821b1c6115fa09a0.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

I did away with it as it was just another point of entry for burglars.

Usually garages have rear pedestrian doors so people can take the lawnmower out to the back garden etc. You already have a large back door.

Putting a door right next to another door would seem redundant.

I have one of the Latham's steel doors mentioned earlier between the house and garage, thus you put the car away and lock the door and it is totally secure. Apparently integral garage doors are often a good access point for criminals. It is also closer to one metre wide as then if I need to get stuff in and of the plant room it makes it easier,  you might want it to get stuff into the gym.

BTW I have insulated garage doors and the garage is insulated like the rest of the house, but they don't seal well enough to really bother too much about the insulation. I took a picture of the insulated Hormann doors on my last house with an IR camera. The insulation is only in the centre of the panels and you could see a very big temperature difference around the edges versus in the middle.

I'll look at widening the internal door too cos that's a good point.

I don't think a pedestrian door would be redundant just cos it's next to the main large garage door. Just seems major overkill to open a 5m door to walk in and out of. I more than likely won't park my daily car in the garage, so the pedestrian door could be used more than the main garage door.

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

I'll look at widening the internal door too cos that's a good point.

I don't think a pedestrian door would be redundant just cos it's next to the main large garage door. Just seems major overkill to open a 5m door to walk in and out of. I more than likely won't park my daily car in the garage, so the pedestrian door could be used more than the main garage door.

+1, I nip in and out of my pedestrian door more than I open the main door.

In your situation as drawn Vijay you could put a wicket door into the lefthand garage door rather than bash a whole new opening to the side.  Or if as you say its going to be one large garage door you could use a side slider like Hormann HST with a preset that just auto opens it a 'personnel width'. I got a quote of  £5800 inc fitting &vat for a 4.6m wide by 2.2 high.

Am struggling with these conundrums myself currently too.

Hormann personnel garage doors are not secure by design, but their sectional doors are.  The personnel doors aren't cheap compared to the sectional doors.

However we plan to use the personnel door more often than our front door, treating the 1st quarter of the garage much like a porch.  We have a 4.6m opening & I plan to put a 1m personnel door, a 0.6m 'decorative infill panel', then a 3m sectional door.  My front door is a couple metres to the left and the opening is 1.6m which will be a 1m front door & a 0.6m 'decorative infill panel'.

Trying to get an aesthetic match through front door, personnel door and garage door without breaking the bank.  Hormann seems like sensible middle ground.  BUT the personnel door isn't secure by design.  I think it's possible to swap this to a Latham security door and ral colour match (some compromise to aesthetic matching but minimal as we are trying to keep everything very plain).

Going this way would make the garage sufficiently secure that the adjoining door into the house wouldn't strictly need to be secure by design I believe?  It would still have to be fd30 and I believe u-value 1.4 or better?  A door that's all things....sbd fd30 u-1.4 seems to cause furrowed brows wherever I ask for one....to the point i'm thinking i've misunderstood my requirements.

All in all i've caught myself out with some unexpected expense, not giving due consideration to all the implications of garage door, front and rear garage personnel doors, and adjoining house door....and aesthetic matching to nearby main front door.

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

I think my decisions are easier than yours!!! lol

hah, well at least today my building inspector has been pragmatic about the adjoining door; says a bog standard old style solid wood fd30 will do with a lock on it, and the garage doors will surely be secure enough.  It's a nice easy going response.