Plasterboard What Thickness

Triassic

All our upstairs rooms have tall vaulted ceilings, too tall for a plasterboard lifter.  They were all fitted by hand by me and SWMBO from internal scaffolding.  It took some ingenuity at times to fit the boards but we managed.  I most certainly would not choose heavier boards than needed.

Don't forget it is not just the job of fitting them to the ceilings, but the effort of getting them all upstairs in the first place.

Downstairs has all normal height flat ceilings and I borrowed a plasterboard lifter, so we could have used thicker plasterboard, but I still just see that as extra effort for no benefit.

The only place I used 15mm was the garage and that is because you have to, and 2 layers of it. And I still used dwangs.

• Like 1

Now that I am old and feeble ?, the last ceiling I did fir my son we used 6x3 12.5mm (could not get 8+4 up the stairs!) (honest!) and bought a second hand, but nearly new plasterboard lifter. It was brilliant, we also double boarded the ceiling as he wanted more sound Insulation. We sold the lifter fir what we paid fir it.

Time - never recorded it.  I did upstairs separately to downstairs.  I fitted it around other jobs but slower than a gang coming in for sure.  With a gang you would need to be 100% ready for them.  One of the most satisfying jobs on the build for me.  Lifter is essential.

Compared to a mate who is also self building it was a lot cheaper than his contractor - I didn't work out my hourly rate - it would prob be pence. 

I was in charge of the quality and that was worth it for me.

15mm on ceilings because I wanted more sound proofing - its approx equal to 12.5mm sound board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CC45 said:

this!

for me it will be hard to let go of that and trust a subbie. but I know I'm going to have to as I can't do it all myself and be finished within a family acceptable timeframe.

I can't think of a better 'bang for buck' tool through my whole build than my £99 ebay lifter that I subsequently sold for £50.  It initially inspired fear, looking like it would buckle and snap with tensioned wire pinging everywhere.  Reality is it made a job that would break my back on day one wholly solo-able.  Add a collated screw gun into the equation and your laughing.....well, you're not, 'cos it's still a lot of arms above head work. 

2 minutes ago, mvincentd said:

It initially inspired fear, looking like it would buckle and snap with tensioned wire pinging everywhere. 

Ha, yes, not to mention trapped fingers.

I also liked the slight 'ricketiness' of them which I first thought was merely Chinese quality of construction but have now realised is actually really helpful for being able to nudge the board around without needing to necessarily move the whole lifter. A real workhorse. My only regret is not having any more ceiling boards to do (although I may just rip another ceiling down without hesitation if there's even some benefit in doing so). 

3 hours ago, CC45 said:

Makes perfect sense and thats why I'd like to do  it.

3 hours ago, CC45 said:

15mm on ceilings because I wanted more sound proofing - its approx equal to 12.5mm sound board.

I think I'd maybe do that for internal ceilings. But if not required on the roof (and provides a significant saving then I might follow @ProDaves thinking. If there is no need for sound deadening there its lighter and easier to work with it makes sense. 

12.5mm for me all the time.

denser, stronger than 9mm, easier to lift without snapping

easy to mix and match with 12 mm plywood if you are double sheeting

its like sarking  board, cheaper thinner boards work , but just cause grief for slater due to bounce.