Plasterboard What Thickness

Triassic

12.5mm or I like 15mm which gives (I think) the same protection as 12.5 Fireline.  I have recently used Knauf Soundshield Plus which is tougher than normal board and good for fixings.  I imagine the dry lining firm got a good deal on it, as our spec was just for 15mm acoustic.

Just checked our Building Regs drawings and there is only one note that states the bathroom ceiling will be 12.5mm Gyproc wallboard.

I've calculated I need 950 m2 of plasterboard, any suggestions on cost-effective suppliers?

I will be in the same position soon so let me know how you get on. On line is a good place to start and then play one merchant against the other is the norm. Usually cheaper to get a bulk order but with p/b you need to get it stored so you not continually moving it about. How will access be for your site as it could come on an articulated lorry as part of a multiple order? If your local merchant gives you a good price they may have a smaller wagon for delivery.

If it's timber frame you really should be using 15mm and have to by law in Ireland. See attached guidance note recently issued to all architects in Ireland in relation to fire safety in timber frame houses.

BCMS Information Note 1-2018 Guidance on Timber Frame Walls.pdf

edit to clarify: published by the Building Standards, Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government in Ireland. Not relevant to building regulations in the UK but it would be good practice to follow the best guidelines in relation to fire.

Edited by Dudda

@Dudda    Funny you should mention fire safety.  Online the cheapest 900 x 1800 x 12.5mm plasterboard I can find is £3.00 per sheet, the fireline board is £5.75.

In my case, a total cost for 12.5mm plasterboard would be £1.760 against Fireline at £3,372 and 15mm plasterboard at £2.439.

Edited by Triassic

53 minutes ago, Dudda said:

If it's timber frame you really should be using 15mm and have to by law in Ireland. See attached guidance note recently issued to all architects in Ireland in relation to fire safety in timber frame houses.

BCMS Information Note 1-2018 Guidance on Timber Frame Walls.pdf

An extract from the quoted document....

"In constructions where the internal plasterboard slabs are not fixed directly to the timber frame stud, i.e. where insulation is fitted on the face of the stud, then the construction is not in compliance with I.S. 440:2009 Timber Frame Construction, Dwellings and Other Buildings and cannot be assumed as having a given fire resistance.   "

My bolding

Oh hum..can we pick the above quote apart and discuss its implications?

3 hours ago, Triassic said:

It's raining, so I'm working out how much plasterboard I need to order.

Quick question, which thickness? 9.5mm or 12.5?

Do you use the same thickness throughout or what?

12.5 or wall 15 mil cielings

12.5mm here.

I never see anything else used except where 15mm fireline is specified (garages for instance) and then it's 2 layers of the stuff.

Regarding strength though, I have noticed a difference recently.  When I did the upstairs, it was "normal" plasterboard, as I had always known it. Easy to score and snap to cut to size.  But all the stuff I have been getting for the downstairs (just ordered as normal PB) when you score and snap it, it is much tougher, and looking at the raw snapped edge, you can see hundreds of fine strands of fibre.  I have never seen mention of this "reinforced" PB anywhere?

I used Gyproc habito everywhere except ceilings and bathrooms. Its 12.5mm plus the skim. It has 90 min fire resistance, hopefully that gives some good fire protection for internal stud walls which are absolutely stuffed with insulation.

• 2 years later...

Just reigniting this thread. 

I'm just about to do the same thing. So is 12.5mm plus skim for internal and external walls, 15mm (single layer) for all ceilings still the norm?

Note - not fussed at all about external noise as I'm rural. Internally kids are other side of house so no major issue there. I would just like a good standard of 'solidness' on the walls that's all. I have the living room below master bedroom, but I plan to treat that separately and do resilient bars in there (Wife goes to bed early, I'm a night owl and I would like to avoid being told to turn the TV down at night ?)

At one point I had noted down double layer, but I don't really think it's required for a mere mortal like me. My current house is a 1975 Thermalite block house, walls are solid internally. No insulation between floors (timber) so whilst I will lose that solid wall feel internally I will hopefully have less noise travelling.  

@Triassic what did you end up doing?

Edited by SuperJohnG

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

12.5mm on ceiling you need nogs  (dwangs for @ProDave!) At 1200s. 

15mm you don't. Saves time. 

I've got a SIPS build so it's all on battens and could put it them on 600 centres. But I've allowed for 15mm on ceilings  anyways which should work out fine. 

I await prices for 900 sqm of it. Gulp. 

16 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I've been thinking about one of these. Thanks for the recommendation.  As a typical self builder and forum member...Happy to be in charge of my own destiny! 

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What to people perceive is the benefit of 15mm for a ceiling apart from no need for dwangs?

I don't know...I'm.happy to take arguments to the contrary.. especially if there is a saving. Ill have 400mm centres  for posi  joists (I think) and battens wherever I put them. I do have some vaulted roofs. 

11 hours ago, CC45 said:

do you mind telling us how long it took you to do on your own and how much you did, i.e. m2? it's one of those things that I'm thinking about doing but it will all depend on the time it will take compared to the quotes I get in for it.

39 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

do you mind telling us how long it took you to do on your own and how much you did, i.e. m2? it's one of those things that I'm thinking about doing but it will all depend on the time it will take compared to the quotes I get in for it.

Itll be harder, take longer and probably work out the same cost  in the end.....with little to no actual benefit. But this is the way of the self builder.....

I will be buying one. ?

• Haha 1