pocster

Brexit ( sorry mentioned it )

Posted (edited)

Don‚Äôt worry ! No political crap ūüėä

Just thinking ahead

Assuming no deal ( which I think is unlikely ) how could one benefit from the opportunity???

Assuming a deal - ( difficult when we don’t really know the deal ) ; anyone see opportunities there ??

Im being cold and just thinking about financial gain .

Stocks/shares could be a minefield in either scenario ; so what items ( imports ) might be worth considering?

Optimists always try and find the rainbow ūüĆą ūüėé

Edited by pocster

I wish I had had the money to buy all my windows in one go. I suspect the windows for my sun room are going to cost a lot more.  If we get a really bad Brexit, I might even have to consider a different manufacturer.

Just now, ProDave said:

I wish I had had the money to buy all my windows in one go. I suspect the windows for my sun room are going to cost a lot more.  If we get a really bad Brexit, I might even have to consider a different manufacturer.

Yeah I can imagine .....

I have a theory that politicians don't usually get much done unless things really look bad then they are forced to do something.

Thus Brexit has to look bad to get them to actually sort it out.

So I am assuming some kind of compromise, although not certain enough I would necessarily bet on it. The value of the Pound and stock market reflect the risks a lot more than before the original vote which no one seemed to think would happen.

The funny thing is that there is a worry house prices will fall on a hard Brexit. A positive Brexit could lead to the economy accelerating and interest rates rising, house prices might still fall. Particularly in London where they are just too expensive anyway and more tightly related to interest rates than elsewhere.

• Like 1

There might be plenty of border inspectors needed over here if you want to supplement your income. Would avoid any positions in south Armagh though if you have a strong English accent.

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)

There are two investments I think will stand the test of time...my grandmother told me that and I think it still holds true if you take the long view.  1. Land....they cant make any more of it so supply demand ratio works. 2. bricks and mortar (or in now parlance timber frame perhaps), people always need somewhere to live so ditto on supply and demand.

She was a canny old bird, when she died (in the 1960’s) left a lot of bricks and mortar all nicely tenanted and producing a tidy income and quite a few bits of land she had picked up here and there....now if only my father had not blown the lot!

Edited by lizzie

Brexit will deliver a land of milk and honey!

The UK, like Trumpton, will be great after Brexit, companies in Europe will be desperate to trade with such a great nation, prices will drop and bargains galore will be had.

what time is it ?!,,,, I must be dreaming...... back to sleep...........

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Declan52 said:

There might be plenty of border inspectors needed over here if you want to supplement your income. Would avoid any positions in south Armagh though if you have a strong English accent.

I had the pleasure of being flown over "bandit country" by 5 Reg AAC in a Lynx once.  Interesting experience, as the A/C was fitted with armoured front seats and the guys carried loaded weapons (both a PW each plus an MP5 for the guy in the LH seat).  Interesting flight profile too; climb as fast as possible to 1500ft AGL (to reduce the risk of being hit by ground snipers), fast transit out to our destination, then a near-vertical fast descent to about 10 to 20ft AGL for the hedge-hopping run in to the LZ in a field, where two plain clothed guys and a dog ran out from a hedge, jumped in the back with me and we did another rapid climb back up to 1500ft before heading back to Aldergrove.

Equally interesting was my arrival at Aldergrove, on a civvy flight from the UK.  After picking up my luggage I walked down a corridor towards the final security checks and exit.  A door opened in the side of the corridor and I was grabbed and pulled in, to find there was a military desk the other side of the door, with CCTV looking down the corridor.  Apparently this was a security measure to get people safely off flights and into RAF Aldergrove without having to leave the security cordon.  There were ground crew there who had never stepped outside the wire for their tour, because of the security risk of doing so.

• Like 3

Buy up all the toilet paper you can and sell at a profit after March? There's bound to be a shortage....

Other products to consider:

• Seeds
  • Fuel
  • Razor Blades
  • Sanitary Products

Go on a barber's course. People always need their hair cut!! 

8 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

Buy up all the toilet paper you can and sell at a profit after March? There's bound to be a shortage....

• Seeds
  • Fuel
  • Razor Blades
  • Sanitary Products

Fantastic !

I will go to Tesco’s and fill up my trolley with Andrew and tampons . Probably get a few strange looks - but what’s new !

im in the money !!!

19 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

• Seeds
  • Fuel
  • Razor Blades
  • Sanitary Products

Love it....when I lived in Tanzania in the 80’s all of that stuff was unobtainable It was bring what you could  in your suitcase, drive to Nairobi once every few months for a restock or pay huge black market prices......light bulbs were another one but I guess with led now that moment has passed. I recall one time we all had to donate some fuel to power generator at Kilimanjaro airport so the weekly Swissair flight could land...no landing lights otherwise. I used to swap chickens for grain to make flour and we tried making oil from corn (unsuccessful), on the plus side being a coffee growing region that was plentiful and good.  The gin making was another failure but it continued on and was sold as gin in the club......missing vital ingredient juniper, still needs must when you need a G&T, for the anti malarial properties of course but then there was no quinine either.  Great days I miss them but have no wish to revisit in UK after brexit.

Post-Brexit Id imagine you could pick up bargain¬†vinyl copies of anything by ‚ÄėForeigner‚Äô.¬†

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mike2016 said:

• Seeds
  • Fuel
  • Razor Blades
  • Sanitary Products

Ffs lad, do it properly, bog roll is no. 30 btw

https://survivalcache.com/top-100-items-to-dissappear-first/

(apols if I have inadvertently linked us to some far right militia group. Blame google, not me.)

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1

I am very worried about a fall in house prices.  I have three properties not quite ready for the market that need sold before I can build my own.  The last time I had so many for sale was in 2007 and that went well....

1 hour ago, mike2016 said:

• Seeds
  • Fuel
  • Razor Blades
  • Sanitary Products

I would hold off on the sanitary products. IIRC there was a lot of shouting (and no shortage of exaggerated claims) about tampons and VAT, and that is because they are categorised by the European Commission as a luxury product.

Hopefully Brexit will remove the VAT.

F

1 minute ago, Square Feet said:

I am very worried about a fall in house prices.  I have three properties not quite ready for the market that need sold before I can build my own.  The last time I had so many for sale was in 2007 and that went well....

Ouch.

IMO you now probably have to sit on those until the spring, unless they are in a hotspot or you are willing to take a hit.

Two of them won't be ready til the Spring anyway - you know, around 29th of March or so......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s a worrying time, especially for importers. You can’t really plan for the unknown.

40 minutes ago, Square Feet said:

Hey !

Me too . Put my house on the market just as the recession hit . Had to wait 10 years ! ūüė≥

• Sad 1

A mate of mine, level headed chap etc, is seriously planning to load up on tinned & dried food (e.g. pies, pot noodles etc..) in Feb just in case.

What the fuel blockades of 2000 and the Northern Rock ATM run of 2008 tell us is that even the perception of chaos or panic is enough to cause it, and it feeds off itself.

Given supermarket supply lines are JIT (always see this when there is an unexpected hot weekend and all the BBQ meat & bread fly off shelves, then there's a glut a few days later when weather is crap again) would not take much to clear the shelves and the empty shelves themselves will generate even more panic. Ditto fuel, cash etc...

This is interesting https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jan/11/nine-meals-anarchy-sustainable-system and recall how quickly this mood developed during the London riots a few years back.

Ive just been to Sainsburys......what a scrum, I think the locals have been reading this post judging by the towering trolley loads of the above mentioned items

• Haha 1

Up here, whenever bad weather / snow is forecast, the supermarket shelves instantly empty of bread, milk, and soup.

• Like 1

Let’s all panic now and stock up on goodies ! . Wine & steak first !

• Like 1

Been buying just a little more of this and that for a couple of months now. Doesn't take long to run out of storage space. 

A stay over at ours means kipping on tinned soup and loo roll 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1