Hi from Dorset- re-build project

Adam2

Thanks, I'm building near Poole, lower Parkstone.

Looked at the Durisol build, will have to make a list of pros/cons on that Vs alternatives.

My site is a little complex as has 3 ground levels so a passive slab and retaining walls is a bit more of a challenge, will post in the relevant area to get ideas on that ?

Hopes and plans..... well, planning approval for a 4 storey house on a hill in a residential area overlooking Poole harbour. Great views but challenging site. Expect we will live there for 5 years so carefully considering costs so we don't over invest. Will be a contemporary House with a lot of glazing, south facing so will be looking at options for benefitting from this re solar gain but not cooking in the summer - thinking brise solaie to block high  level sun  in summer and running the pump to move heat around. 

Will start a blog and carry on absorbing info from this forum!

My architect hasn't had much ICF experience and is quite negative on this - will change his mind!

Currently researching structure options, getting quotes for demolition etc and trying to get a handle on costs to set out our budget...ever increasing spreadsheet!

Welcome!

5 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

My architect hasn't had much ICF experience and is quite negative on this - will change his mind!

Does he have a reason for being negative about it, or is the lack of experience/knowledge driving his opinion?

Hi and welcome.

Any ideas on heating and hot water yet? Start a new thread for each of the many disciplines when your ready, or feel free to blow the dust off any existing threads that you find relevant. 

Get to work on your architect, and, if you get any friction, get a new architect ;) 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Get to work on your architect, and, if you get any friction, get a new architect ;) 

We changed architects and it was one of the best (if difficult) decisions we made. We got on brilliantly, but she just wasn't designing anything that inspired us, even after three full rounds of redesigns with several layouts per round. The first design from the second architect was just "oh yes, of course that's what we should do".

Not saying that course of action is appropriate here, of course! The second architect had been our original choice, but he'd originally turned us down on the basis he was concerned about building to passivhaus standards. He was a lot more comfortable when we came back to him, because we'd found a building company whose standard construction method dealt with the basics of insulation and airtightness.

• Like 1

Very happy with the design aesthetic so no issues there. The architect I think has only been involved in one previous ICF build some years ago and there were some issues re waterproofing and complexity in the basement aspect of the build  - though they accept materials may have improved since then (or people have got better at it!). I have a few SEs that I am contacting with good experience in this area and a couple of builders with ICF experience so when I narrow it down will bring these 3 parties (architect, SE, builder) together to ensure we are all aligned. If not, maybe there are real, site specific, challenges. Or, we change the team.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi and welcome.

Any ideas on heating and hot water yet? Start a new thread for each of the many disciplines when your ready, or feel free to blow the dust off any existing threads that you find relevant. 

Thanks.

Heating - I quite like the idea of a more traditional system (as opposed to pellet burners / ASHP) so gas boiler based but with PV excess being used for water heating + UFH on each floor.

Most likely MVHR also.

I think there have been one or more Grand Designs done in that genral area with ICF.

I think I recall an older lady building in her garden with a round tower, and also somebody with a BFO build with a huuuuuuuuuge basement,

F

Edited by Ferdinand

6 hours ago, Adam2 said:

Thanks.

Heating - I quite like the idea of a more traditional system (as opposed to pellet burners / ASHP) so gas boiler based but with PV excess being used for water heating + UFH on each floor.

Most likely MVHR also.

If you get the insulation and air tightness right you might find your heating requirements are minimal.

• Like 1

Adam, just off Lulworth Avenue right on the corner of the Hamworthy Park carpark there's what i'm 99% sure is a durisol build going on....blocks going up currently...you might fancy being nosey.

Don't allow your love for the concept of icf to get in the way of your hearing what might be legitimate concerns of your architect...he might have little experience of it but correct me if i'm wrong, you have none? Seems you're at a pretty early stage in your design process still, so it might pay to remain open minded.  

• Like 1