Retaining wall and habitable spaces

Moonshine

I am looking to build on a sloped site, as such some of the external walls on one level of the proposed house will be a retaining wall with habitable rooms inside. 

My question is, in these spaces would you build the retaining wall, have a cavity with thermal insulation inside and the internal leaf, or something else? 

Mine is similar - access is single level leading to a two storey at the rear.  

Their is a side retaining section at the bottom, specified by the SE, then double blockwork with insulation up to the level of the upper floor and then timber stud to the ceiling.

The attached drawings were for building regs approval

High Croft Bungalow b regs-007E.pdf

Hi

Yes you can do this. You can also rake back the ground behind the wall so that there is no load against it, thus reducing the need for it to retain.

You really need to ensure that whatever detail you use it is adequately water stopped. The wall should have drainage behind it and a good quality DPM behind or in front of it.

I'm assuming you are designing it yourself, rather than getting an architect to specify the wall detail?

56 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Mine is similar - access is single level leading to a two storey at the rear.  

Their is a side retaining section at the bottom, specified by the SE, then double blockwork with insulation up to the level of the upper floor and then timber stud to the ceiling.

The attached drawings were for building regs approval

High Croft Bungalow b regs-007E.pdf

thanks for the pointers, very useful

33 minutes ago, Tyke2 said:

I'm assuming you are designing it yourself, rather than getting an architect to specify the wall detail?

Cheers, I am just thinking about layouts and setting out general space requirements, detailed design of retaining walls will be based on SE requirements

In basemented sections I went for external insulation, dpm, reinforced concrete wall...that's it, a spot of clear sealer on the walls and i'm decorated.  You could dot n dab plasterboard on if you prefer a more traditional aesthetic. Be sure to carefully detail all areas where external insulation has to transfer to cavity or internal.