Possibly starting all over again

AliG

I wouldn't worry about public comments they hold next to no weight unless they quote planning policies. Not sure if a certain number in your district puts you into comittiee territory? Having not seen the application vs old one i'd say your worrying for nowt. Planning wouldn't want to refuse then have you win at appeal.  Agree the planning system needs a shakeup. Perhaps they can trial a new system in these new towns where each plot has outline permission for a house of maximum size and maximum stories. Design is completely upto owner. Have some basic overlooking rules perhaps. 

Edited by Oz07

45 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Perhaps they can trial a new system in these new towns where each plot has outline permission for a house of maximum size and maximum stories. Design is completely upto owner.

I think they did that at Graven Hill? Certainly seemed to indicate that on Grand Designs. You wouldn’t get away with that in Edinburgh however. 

It seems bizarre to me that a single storey dwelling that could be pretty much hidden and had only 1 objection was refused whereas a 2 storey dwelling with many objections was passed. Your original design was perfect for an elderly resident I thought. Are we only allowed to build family homes these days? 

I doubt that the objections will matter too much to the planners in truth. If your design is similar to the one passed previously I don’t see what objections the planners could have in truth. 

Out of interest has the person who obtained the original PP for their garden plot objected? 

Someone bought the house and refurbished it. 

They then sold it minus part of the garden which they had obtained permission to build a house on.

The new owners were the only people who objected to the single storey house even though we already gave permission to build a two storey house. Apparently they cited that it would hurt the value of their house which was ignored.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AliG said:

It seems to me that the planning system would actually be more efficient if planners were more willing to engage in discussion with people to let them know what was and was not acceptable.

It very definitely would be.  The first plot we were looking to buy was challenging, mainly because, although it was around 1/3rd of an acre the space available to put a house on it was very limited.  Luckily, the planning officer was very helpful, drove over to meet us at the plot and talk through what we wanted and what he felt would be acceptable.  In the space of about an hour on site we had a pretty clear idea of what we probably could and could not do.

Sadly it seems that this is very much the exception rather than the rule, as planning officers just don't seem to have the time to do this any more.  It's a pity, as I suspect that if they made a bit of time available up front like this, they may well save a great deal more time later in the process.

• Like 2

>discussion

Ford Prefect on human communication - apropos of not very much, and perhaps irrelevant (but it is Saturday).

"One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you alright? At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behaviour. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working. After a while he abandoned this one as well as being obstructively cynical."

• 1 month later...

Not really enjoying this situation.

Spoke to the planning consultant today as the 2 month planning determination deadline is up on Monday and thought that he may have heard from the planner to ask for an extension.

The planner spoke to him before Christmas and said that he would visit the site in January to get an idea of things. Of course this means that he turned down our previous application just looking at it on paper, but that is par for the course.

The question I asked is should we just appeal on non determination straight away as planning will otherwise waste our time. He said that if we do that they will send it back to go to committee first  and we will have to wait for that anyway.

The issue is the complete lack of feedback. The planner told him that if there was an issue with the application he would come back to him, maybe the fact we haven't heard is good news or maybe he just hasn't started to look at it yet. Now the consultant says the planner has stopped responding to emails or phone calls. The consultant said that he will continue trying and may even pay him a personal visit if he cannot get him on the phone.

Without any feedback we have no idea if there is an issue or not. So I said let's give it a week and see if he is leaning towards recommending approval or recommending rejection, but we need to be able to actually contact him to know this.

If we had sensible feedback previously we would have quite happily designed something that took this into consideration. We have taken into consideration the feedback that we do have which amounts to three sentences in an email.

Meanwhile the existing approval will eventually run out so we are now going to have to do something to lock that in as I frankly don't trust that it will get extended. Luckily for a modest cost we can make a start and lock it in forever. I think this may also put the wind up some of the locals who probably think that they can stop anything happening by dragging out the situation. My parents are at a loss to understand how the system can drag on for so long with no consideration for them, I knew it would be slow, but they struggle with the notion that you can already have planning permission and just want to change it and that you can pay out a lot in design fees and planning fees and then get nowhere. The planners will claim that they are busy and I know that they are, but the planning fee for a single house is around £1000, if I paid out £1000 for any commercial work I would expect something back in return.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, AliG said:

The question I asked is should we just appeal on non determination straight away as planning will otherwise waste our time. He said that if we do that they will send it back to go to committee first  and we will have to wait for that anyway.

Unfortunately appeals also take a long time. There is usually enough time for the council to come to a decision before the appeal gets to be heard.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200207/appeals/110/making_an_appeal/2

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/appeals-average-timescales-for-arranging-inquiries-and-hearings

• 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, AliG said:

Permission Granted ?

Full steam ahead now, hoping to get watertight before Christmas

Congratulations!

Did you have to make any changes in the end? How have they explained the delay? 

• Like 1

No changes, I read the neighbours objections yesterday.They almost universally hate the modern box design and said it doesn't fit in the street. If they didn't like modern boxes they probably should have objected to the two that were approved a few months ago in the same street.

I expected neighbours to object, so I don't really care. However, the local amenity association objected yet didn't object to the other houses recently approved in the street which also breach the guidelines for coverage of the site. They also objected to my house as it was the largest built in the area since the 1920s, I am yet to figure out how they think that is a planning issue. I have been considering writing to them to ask if they actually have any objective process or simply only comment when it upsets one of their mates.

No explanation of the delay, the guy we were dealing with is just painfully slow. I saw someone apply to build a lock of flats in their garden get permission faster than we did. The architect was talking about making a formal complaint last year when the same officer didn't speak to us at all for 5 months then said he was going to refuse our application unless we withdrew it.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AliG said:

No changes, I read the neighbours objections yesterday.They almost universally hate the modern box design and said it doesn't fit in the street. If they didn't like modern boxes they probably should have objected to the two that were approved a few months ago in the same street.

I expected neighbours to object, so I don't really care. However, the local amenity association objected yet didn't object to the other houses recently approved in the street which also breach the guidelines for coverage of the site. They also objected to my house as it was the largest built in the area since the 1920s, I am yet to figure out how they think that is a planning issue. I have been considering writing to them to ask if they actually have any objective process or simply only comment when it upsets one of their mates.

No explanation of the delay, the guy we were dealing with is just painfully slow. I saw someone apply to build a lock of flats in their garden get permission faster than we did. The architect was talking about making a formal complaint last year when the same officer didn't speak to us at all for 5 months then said he was going to refuse our application unless we withdrew it.

Took me 5 years . You got there !

Have you thought about glazing ?

34 minutes ago, pocster said:

Have you thought about glazing ?

We will be using an MBC frae and they can supply and fit Rationel windows.

However, at the back of the house we have 2x 2.6m tall sliding doors and Rationel cannot make a door that size, because of this we may have to use Internorm or MBC use Solarlux for larger windows, but I suspect that they are expensive. I think Ideal Combi can also do 2.6m and Nordan 2.588m.

I have asked the architect for a window schedule so that we can send it out and see how much this issue is going to cost us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AliG said:

We will be using an MBC frae and they can supply and fit Rationel windows.

However, at the back of the house we have 2x 2.6m tall sliding doors and Rationel cannot make a door that size, because of this we may have to use Internorm or MBC use Solarlux for larger windows, but I suspect that they are expensive. I think Ideal Combi can also do 2.6m and Nordan 2.588m.

I have asked the architect for a window schedule so that we can send it out and see how much this issue is going to cost us.

Yes that is excellent.

But I was more leaning towards those wow factor type things - that don't need to cost the earth you know.

For example ( off the top of my head ) some walk on glazing perhaps?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Yes that is excellent.

But I was more leaning towards those wow factor type things - that don't need to cost the earth you know.

For example ( off the top of my head ) some walk on glazing perhaps?

The Dungeon Master's pedalling his wares again!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

After the whole fiasco with the water main here are our new amended plans.

We had to make the hall smaller but luckily it was very large to begin with.

We had to lose a hundred mil off a couple of the rooms also, but the upstairs bedroom/drawing room actually got larger when the hall got smaller.

In a developer built house it would probably be another two bedrooms, but my mum wants another lounge as they don't need more than two bedrooms really.

image.thumb.png.8b4d20d534fc67e5fde8b9128cb047a7.png

image.thumb.png.09de16b46542ca8fd6f06c3dc733e713.png

Yes the redesign is minor, it’s the wasted time and stress that’s the problem.

There is also the matter of extra costs due to the timing. Luckily we can cover them, for some people it would probably be a deal breaker.

• Like 1