HMO wifi

3 minutes ago, le-cerveau said:

You need a UniFi controller (Cloud Key, Web controller or on your PC) to set up and adopt the AP.

A colleague recently set one up using the Unifi iPhone app and a YouTube video. I suggest looking on YouTube. 

(CloudKey is optional and most basic users won't need it.)

44 minutes ago, le-cerveau said:

Yes people can connect to the AP and ignore the Hub, in theory you can turn off the hua Wi-Fi (not sure how though as I haven't used one for a while).

You need a UniFi controller (Cloud Key, Web controller or on your PC) to set up and adopt the AP.

Lots of help on the UniFi site https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/ct-p/UniFi.

WHat are you using as your controller?

If it is just on your PC and the PC is connected to the same hub as the AP then just use the Chrome extension to find the AP.  Or if you AP is plugged in and you know the ip (from the Home Hub page), you can SSH into it and 'Set Inform' pointing it to the controller.

I thought you didn't *have* to have a controller!? (just using my mac)

As if by magic 1 has adopted! ( no idea why it's working now apart from me swearing at it)

2nd is no 'provisioning' - I'm guessing thats a good sign!

Cheers

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

I thought you didn't *have* to have a controller!? (just using my mac)

In your case you're Mac is the "controller". An iPhone will do just as well. Either is only needed for setup to configuration changes. Nothing else.

You don't need a CloudKey for setup. Its for remotely monitoring your network (optional).

Edited by Dreadnaught

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

You don't need a CloudKey for setup. Its for remotely monitoring your network (optional).

If you want do do anything clever such as Guest network management (T&C, payment vouchers, .....) then you need a controller otherwise set it up with your MAC and then leave it alone.  Every now and again you need to check and update the firmware but otherwise leave it alone.

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

It would seem bt hub 6 cannot be put into 'modem' mode :-(((

I *assume* thesis of no issue if no-one connects to it? i.e. just used the AP's???

Sounds like BT have limited the options, probably to simplify their online support calls. The option you were looking for was to disable the WiFI network.

The only disadvantage of having your BT modem transmitting an alternative WiFi network is that those that attache to it wont "roam" to the other APs.

Some Wifi routers allow you to make the SSID "invisible", so people won't see it as an option. Look for that setting. Or alternatively name the Wifi network transmitted by your BT modem as  "Do Not Use" or similar. Or simply just don't give them a password for it.

So long as this other BT Wifi Network is set to to automatically choose its frequency it should not interfere with your Unifi WiFi network.

Edited by Dreadnaught
Corrected Virgin to BT
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Sounds like BT have limited the options, probably to simplify their online support calls. The option you were looking for was to disable the WiFI network.

The only disadvantage of having your BT modem transmitting an alternative WiFi network is that those that attache to it wont "roam" to the other APs.

Some Wifi routers allow you to make the SSID "invisible", so people won't see it as an option. Look for that setting. Or alternatively name the Wifi network transmitted by your BT modem as  "Do Not Use" or similar. Or simply just don't give them a password for it.

So long as this other BT Wifi Network is set to to automatically choose its frequency it should not interfere with your Unifi WiFi network.

I did exactly that. I was more worried that the BT hub having wifi enabled might restrict /penalise AP access but guess not.

Renamed 'do not use wifi' which means tenants will try of course. :-))))

Just gone around the house with my phone connected and seen it 'switch' as I roam - so happy!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, le-cerveau said:

Every now and again you need to check and update the firmware but otherwise leave it alone.

Just to note for others that there is an option with UniFi for it to update firmware itself without intervention. But if I recall correctly that's not turned on by default (might be wrong).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

These 2 Unifi AP units I have are a NIGHTMARE!

All works for a bit then goes t*ts up for no obvious reason.

As soon as I swap back to the actual hub's Wifi all is fine.

Stick 'em on ebay I think! - just seems so unstable and I simply can't isolate the issue!

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Perhaps get your device to forget the BT hub SSID as it may be trying to connect to that.  I have 2 Unifis in a 4 storey house and they work flawlessly.

It was working fine . I did update the AP’s firmware - so that might be it .

Currently running with both AP’s unplugged and ok . The AP’s had issues anyway - becoming unadopted or missing heart beat . So some kind of issue between them I think . Reluctant to roll back the firmware ( I assume you can roll back ) .

Just now, Dreadnaught said:

If one of the AP is missing a heartbeat intermittently its likely to be the ethernet cabling. It is unlikely to be the APs themselves or the firmware. They are rock solid.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Yeah I triple checked the wiring with my tester . No issues 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update 

Since removing both UniFi ap units have had zero issues . Cctv working no probs. WiFi on site fine - admittedly weaker in the loft room . Devolo plugs for wired access in bedrooms no issues . Geniushub heating no issues apart from tenants expecting a 17 degree room to get to 21 degrees instantly ( these are engineers would you believe ! )

Edited by pocster

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

... apart from tenants expecting a 17 degree room to get to 21 degrees instantly ( these are engineers would you believe ! )

They will be the ones that turn the stat up to 30 expecting it to heat up quicker, and when it gets too hot, open the window.

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

Geniushub heating no issues apart from tenants expecting a 17 degree room to get to 21 degrees instantly

They'll go and buy a 3kw heater and let that run at full pelt alongside the rads lol :)

1 minute ago, newhome said:

They'll go and buy a 3kw heater and let that run at full pelt alongside the rads lol :)

Oh we’ve been there !

luckily with geniushub and say a heater in a room the graph does a nice linear line - so you know there’s an issue . Also suspicious when room is set at 20 degrees  ; rads off but rooms at 24 degrees .

i know all their tricks !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

Is that in your contract then? Thou shalt not use any alternative sources of heat to the ones officially supplied' ;)

Yep !

Im sat here and I can see one of the guys has put his push bike on the front garden path and gone in the house . Not a problem ; but he’s asking for it to be nicked !!

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Im sat here and I can see one of the guys has put his push bike on the front garden path and gone in the house . Not a problem ; but he’s asking for it to be nicked !!

Some people don't have the sense they are born with I'm sure! 

• Haha 1