Self build estimate

Google

Looking for some guidance on what I should expect cost-wise for the plumbing on my self build. I'm getting wildly conflicting prices from plumbers. Ball park firgure will do...£4k?...£8k?

It's a large 300m2 bungalow...total of 4 bathrooms all with showers, 2 have baths, utility, kitchen. Installing an ASHP too with underfloor heating, although this will be carried out separately by the ASHP company.

Plumber would just have to supply the flow and return to the pump.

02 - ground floor plan.pdf

Edited by Google

27 minutes ago, Google said:

Looking for some guidance on what I should expect cost-wise for the plumbing on my self build. I'm getting wildly conflicting prices from plumbers. Ball park firgure will do...£4k?...£8k?

It's a large 300m2 bungalow...total of 4 bathrooms all with showers, 2 have baths, utility, kitchen. Installing an ASHP too with underfloor heating, although this will be carried out separately by the ASHP company.

Plumber would just have to supply the flow and return to the pump.

02 - ground floor plan.pdf

First fix ..?? Second Fix..? Dishwashers..? Washing machines ..?? Supply and fix..?? Fit UFH..??

loads of variables here and we need a bit more info

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

First fix ..?? Second Fix..? Dishwashers..? Washing machines ..?? Supply and fix..?? Fit UFH..??

loads of variables here and we need a bit more info

Sorry...First and second fix.

I have all of the sanitary wear bought for the en-suites/bathroom already.

1 dishwasher, 1 washing machine, 1 Quooker tap, 4 showers(1 of which is electric), 2 baths.

UFH is all carried out by ASHP company.

Huge service voids open in the roof space.

Hope this helps...need any more info, please ask.

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So you need the plumber to supply all the pipework too..?? Copper or Hep2O..?

It can be supply/fit or fit only...I would actually prefer fit only as I have access to trade accounts for the materials, but either is fine.

I don’t mind if it’s copper or Hep20...I know some plumbers have preferences. Either is fine with me.

I would write a spec for this as there is a lot going on there.

Do you want manifold distribution..?

Is the loft space warm or cold..?

What insulation spec do you want..?

Do you want a hot water recirc pump..?

Are the taps monoblock..?

Flexis or fixed to taps..?

Copper on show and Hep2O elsewhere..?

loads to think about and don’t forget that supply and fit will be zero rated for VAT

All the options above could give you a 30-50% variation on pricing. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

I would write a spec for this as there is a lot going on there.

Do you want manifold distribution..?

Is the loft space warm or cold..?

What insulation spec do you want..?

Do you want a hot water recirc pump..?

Are the taps monoblock..?

Flexis or fixed to taps..?

Copper on show and Hep2O elsewhere..?

loads to think about and don’t forget that supply and fit will be zero rated for VAT

All the options above could give you a 30-50% variation on pricing. 

Yes...Manifold distribution.

The loft space will be cold, however there is a plan to develop the loft space(attic trusses have been erected)and if I can insulate the loft roof  now, rather than later, then I will be doing that. 

A hot water recirc pump is not entirely necessary, but a nice to have if affordable...at this stage I would say Yes.

Taps are monoblock

Flexis or fixed? No preference

Copper on show and Hep2O elsewhere..? Yes

2 hours ago, Google said:

It can be supply/fit or fit only...I would actually prefer fit only as I have access to trade accounts for the materials, but either is fine.

I don’t mind if it’s copper or Hep20...I know some plumbers have preferences. Either is fine with me.

TBH i don't know if plumbing trade accounts accounts actually exist now.

Edited by Alexphd1

Just now, Alexphd1 said:

TBH i don't know if plumbing trade counts accounts actually exist now.

Ok...To clarify...I guess what I meant was, I have a builders supply account who deals with Brett Martin...got my foul and surface drainage there. And I also have a relative with a plumbing/bathroom supplier where I'm given a terrific discount.

However, if I get a decent quote, all in, for supply and 1st/2nd fix, I'll be happy.

Sorry not meaning to be sarcastic, but I have found traditional trade accounts in plumbing are non existing now mainly thanks to internet. Have a look at megabad for example, I have found nothing in the UK gets close (trade or public)  to their villeroy & boch / geberit price. 

With a new build I would try and stay away from a hot water circulator pump and go with a hot water distribution  manifold (although you could run a hot water loop to the manifold) and have individual runs form the manifold.

Even pipe insulation i can get generic grey (usually crap) insulation for pence a meter or decent stuff for £'s a meter. You really need to nail the spec and start comparing apples with apples. 

Also be aware that the plumber providing flow and return tails for the ASHP is probably 80% of the work to install the ASHP!

Edited by Alexphd1

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

With a new build I would try and stay away from a hot water circulator pump and go with a hot water distribution  manifold (although you could run a hot water loop to the manifold) and have individual runs form the manifold.

The lack of hot water circulation pump is in my "top 5 things I'd change if I were doing it again". We have a 45 second wait for warm water at our main bathroom sink, despite it being almost above the plant room, and the shower less than a metre away taking a mere 5 seconds to get warm. We have over 20 seconds' wait for hot water in the kitchen, and the downstairs toilet is about the same.

It depends where the manifold is as to how well this will work. I guess if you have one for, say, the bathroom that's relatively close to the bathroom, that'll help a lot. For long individual runs that can't be run from a local manifold (like my kitchen and downstairs toilet), you probably need circulation on a per pipe basis,

@jack Yes hot water circularators are a good solution for some circumstances but I would try and design it out. Sounds like it's either bad planning or bad installation that you have a 45 second wait on what sounds like a very short distance. 

i have listed our estimate below, there were extra things we got done along the way so I think it was around £19k we ended paying, but couldn't fault him and his team for workmanship/attitude and being able to work around delays etc.  It was basically a 300 m2 Bungalow although there was a two story section which housed a bathroom and ensuite.

Plumbing works

Pipework: Supply/install 22mm cold pipework, reducing to 15mm at sanitaryware/appliances. Supply/install separate cold water pipework from internal cold mains to 2 no sinks, 2 no outside taps (for future water softener compliance). Supply/install 22mm hot pipework, reducing to 15mm at sanitaryware/appliances.  Secondary return hot water system, with pump/timer. Supply/install 32/40mm waste pipework for sanitaryware/appliances. Supply/install 100mm above ground soil/vent pipework for 5 no locations. Supply/install service, air admittance and check valves, fittings, waste traps and 19mm thick hot/cold pipe lagging.

Sanitaryware: To install only, the following sanitaryware in positions as shown on drawings:

Ground floor: WC cloakroom - 1 no basin/pedestal/mixer tap, 1 no WC suite c/c. Ensuite 1 – 1 no basin/pedestal/mixer tap, 1 no WC suite c/c, 1 no wetroom shower tray, 2 no shower glass side panels, 1 no shower valve/riser set. Ensuite 2 – 1 no basin/pedestal/mixer tap, 1 no WC suite c/c, 1 no wetroom shower tray, 2 no shower glass side/end panels, 1 no shower valve/riser set. Bathroom – 1 no basin/pedestal/mixer tap

, 1 no WC suite c/c, 1 no bath/bath filler, 2 no side/end bath panels, 1 no shower valve/riser set, 1 no bath-shower screen.

First floor: Ensuite 3 – 1 no basin/pedestal/mixer tap, 1 no WC suite c/c, 1 no wetroom shower tray, 2 no shower glass panels, 1 no shower valve/riser set, 1 no free standing bath/bath filler.

General: Pressure testing as works progress. Plastic pipework/fittings, with visible copper tails to be used throughout for hot/cold supply. All works carried out to comply with water regulations and left in satisfactory working order. Tiling works

Ground floor: WC cloakroom – tiled floor, splash back above basin. Ensuite 1 – tiled floor, fully tiled in shower area, splash back above basin. Ensuite 2 – tiled floor, fully tiled in shower area, splash back above basin. Bathroom – tiled floor, fully tiled in bath area, splash back above basin.

First floor: Ensuite 3 – tiled floor, fully tiled in shower area, splash back above basin.

General: Supply flexible tile adhesives and grouts. Standard wall and floor ceramic tiling (no mosaics, borders, patterns/designs, porcelain/natural stone) in the bathroom, WC cloakroom and ensuites, supplied by client.