Tiling onto painted surface

Shell820810

I'm sure @Nickfromwales will be along soon but in my experience......

the tile adhesive will soften the emulsion and you'll end up with a very poor bond. If they don't fall off you'll certainly be able to pull them off with a sideways glance :( 

ive also foud that scoring can make it even worse as you aid the moisture from adhesive getting in behind the emulsion. Plus the actual surface area of adehsive to plaster is going to be minimal. 

I guess the degree of issue will be partly dependent on size and weight of tile. A few tiles for a splash back probably won't cause huge concern but much else and I'd be finding a way to remove the paint. As @Onoff said sanding is an option and a belt sander with 40g will make light work of it.

• Like 1

The paint needs to come off, your tiler is spot on. 

After removing the paint, you'll need to prime the surfaces with a primer suited to accepting tile adhesive. 

Try a scouring pad and water to remove the paint. If it's a non vinyl based paint for obliteration it should emulsify and come off quite easily. If it's a vinyl based top coat, you may have to break through it first ( with 40-60 grit sandpaper ) and then try scouring once you've scored it sufficiently.  

Your right. 

As long as it's not water based it won't reconstitute the paint / soften it. CT1 will do a good job for small areas. The only problem is in splash zones where moisture can get in around the edges, so beware not to use it excessively ( eg more than just a splash back etc ). ;)  

20 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Second fix plumbing has been such an eye opener for me - all looks great now but so many bullets to dodge! I think painting before tiling was the only one I missed :)

This is about the only area I'm 100% confident on! My dad was a decorator and I spent many an hour/day/weekend/week/month from about 8 years old working with him. The key is to get at least a first coat on everywhere as soon as possible, or earlier if you can! If you do this then cutting in on the final coat is a lot easier :) 

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this post as I had planned to tile above our kitchen worktops tomorrow and remembered this post.  the walls are already painted and I want to stick on small tiles, 20 x 10cm.  No real weight to them.  the thought of trying to remove the paint is horrible - what should I do?  take the risk that they will not come off or what??

IMG_20171209_131400.thumb.jpg.5aaead376c23fa06d54782155b92ef0d.jpg

I plan to take the tiles up to the bottom of the units.  Theyellow paint was already on the walls and ours is the cream. 

Here are the tiles.

IMG_20171128_095556.thumb.jpg.c1789c13d0bd78f47d68f89970cdb5c7.jpg

Sand the walls briefly with 40 grit paper. Buy this and water it down 50/50. Give it a good brushing and leave it soak in for an hour. You'll see the first coat soaking into to wall and the second coat will just reseal the first coat and shouldn't look like it's soaking in any more. 

After an hour or two it'll be dry and should be slightly tacky, which is then ready to tile ;)

• Like 1

If possible don't use acrylic aka ready made tub adhesive as it takes eons to dry out and needs porosity to dry properly.

Id recommend using standard set dry ( powder ) adhesive and you'll have a good hour to work with it before it starts to stiffen. When you notice the mix starting to stiffen in the bucket you must scrape out and bin it. NEVER EVER add water to a dead mix to reconstitute it.  

Don't mix more than you can use in an 1/2-3/4 hour is the rule. ?

With the primer, make sure the first application goes on liberally and cover up any adjacent surfaces as this stuff sticks to things it shouldn't. ;)