Carrier board for stone slip boards

vivienz

The lower floor and full height wall around the stairwell of our house will be clad with a z-board type product called Tier System.  This is made up of stone slips adhered to a board with 'horns' that stick out of diagonally opposite corners of each panel, like this:

image.thumb.png.c89cb5c6858157c0e7ee571c80e8f761.png

Sorry about the size of the image!

Anyhow, the panels need to be glued/fixed to a carrier board which the manufacturer call 'builders board'.  I'm just doing a bit of cross checking on the price I've been quoted, but I'm not sure if there is a different generic name for the product so I can do a bit of research.  Does anyone know what it's otherwise called, if there is a different name?

I would ask the stone slip company what board, adhesive and fitting is covered on their BBA certificate (if they have one) because otherwise, if anything goes wrong, they will have a get-out.  There are lots of boards on the market, like BluClad, which can be used outside. Building boards are sometimes called Calcium Silicate, Magnesium Oxide, Backer Boards and various others but you really need a spec from the slip system manufacturer.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I suspect it's to do with the weight of the stone panels and to make sure that the carrier board is appropriate for the glue.  That said, Sydenhams have been very competitive with the price of the stone panels themselves, but I still like to check these things. The price from Sydenhams is for the board and adhesive supplied by the manufacturer of the stone panels.

Edited by vivienz