Widest french doors

Vijay

Hi,

Just wondered what the widest (actual opening itself) French doors anyone has installed and been happy with? I'm sure I saw somewhere a 2.2m but the window supplier I hope to deal with only goes to 1900 (I think that includes the frame though, so not actual opening). He said he believes that any bigger and you lose sealing performance.

This is for the rear door in my garage and I would loved to have been able to move a car through it if I wanted to.

Vijay

9 hours ago, vivienz said:

You can get windows put into sectional garage doors.

I did contemplate that but IIRC stupidly prices and also they tend to be pretty small so not too much light, which I could do with as it's a pretty big garage ;)

29 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

I was going to have a set of bifolds in the rear of the garage for exactly that purpose. Due to cost cutting I’ve ended up with two pairs of French doors. 

I guess bifolds could be an option but I'm still trying to make the garage airtight (ish) and warm as it's an area I hope to use all year round :)

Edited by Vijay

12 hours ago, Vijay said:

Hi,

Just wondered what the widest (actual opening itself) French doors anyone has installed and been happy with? I'm sure I saw somewhere a 2.2m but the window supplier I hope to deal with only goes to 1900 (I think that includes the frame though, so not actual opening). He said he believes that any bigger and you lose sealing performance.

This is for the rear door in my garage and I would loved to have been able to move a car through it if I wanted to.

Vijay

Since this is at he back, why not find a secondhand sectional door?

There must be some around with people converting their former garages into accommodation or offices.

If you go French, then check very carefully that your hinges are strong enough. I have a pair of I think 1m French Doors from my lounge -> conservatory and they feel distinctly on the limit.

Would a pair of bifold doors be a good compromise ie ones with two flaps in each door?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Is this a garage to use as a garage or something else ..?? The only issue with putting lots of windows and glass in a garage is they become scrote magnets as the local light fingered fraternity decide to use your tool collection as a free version of Halfords ....

Oddly I prefer working with artificial light in the garage as it’s more consistent - nothing worse than the sun going in as you try and put some fiddly bits together on a bench !! 

• Like 1

Rationel go up to 2337mm for a double french door, this would give a learance of 2100-2200 I would guess. So certainly you can get doors that wide. I wonder if UPVC frames have a lower width limit.

Like @PeterW says though I wouldn't expect it to be long before someone tries to put a brick through them. Indeed I did away with any door other than the garage door in my garage. Around here almost all burglary is driven by trying to steal cars.

Edited by AliG

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is this a garage to use as a garage or something else ..?? The only issue with putting lots of windows and glass in a garage is they become scrote magnets as the local light fingered fraternity decide to use your tool collection as a free version of Halfords ....

Oddly I prefer working with artificial light in the garage as it’s more consistent - nothing worse than the sun going in as you try and put some fiddly bits together on a bench !! 

It's my garage/workshop where I'm always tinkering and I also run my car on veg and biodiesel, so I'm always in the garage doing something.

Yeah security obviously does concern me, but thought a blackout blind and maybe an internal security grill if I did end up with french doors.

But now you have me thinking it might not be too bad with LED panels for lighting as thinking about it some more, the back of the garage gets no sunlight at all.

Are there any other options for well insulated, secure double doors with no windows at all??

Edited by Vijay

36 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Are there any other options for well insulated, secure double doors with no windows at all??

Talk to Latham’s. I’ve fitted a couple of their steel doors and they are properly armoured spec and very good. They also do a series of double doors, and will make custom doors to to your spec if you want insulation etc in them. 

https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/steel-security-doors/double-steel-door/

I was going to say Latham's, I have one of their steel doors between the house and the garage and it is fantastic quality for the price.

They can glaze the double steel doors it's not clear how clear the glazing is though. About £1500+VAT for a double glazed security door.

I would also thoroughly recommend these doors for a garage side door or integral garage to house door.

One thing is that the maximum width frame is 2195mm, so you are probably looking at a clear opening of less than 2m and a height of under 2m also unless you have something bespoke made. The insulation value on this kind of door is also going to be pretty poor.

I have to say that I have a single door 2.5m wide and I find any door much narrower than this terrifying to drive through, a door with around 2m clearance would be a non starter as far as I am concerned.

I think the best option is actually a side hinged garage door. They are available insulated and with windows depending on what you want to spend. They won't be as well insulated a Fence doors, but then the garage door is going to be so badly insulated and draughty I don't think it really matters.

https://www.garagedoorsonline.co.uk/shop/Side+hinged/1

Available anywhere from £300 on EBAY, upon to £3000 for a solid wooden one.

Spoke to Lathams, widest doors they do are 2195, so as AliG pointed out, anything less than around 2.5m would be tight to drive through and an accident waiting to happen.

The double hinged doors could be a nice option if I could find ones with windows to let some light in. Otherwise, as suggested earlier, sectional roller doors to match the front might be the other option. I think which ever performs the best in security and thermal would get my money.

Edited by Vijay

If you have artificial lights you'll attract less spiders than having a glass area. My garage window is forever getting covered in webs. I'd also be concerned about security of a pair of larger French doors compared to a brick wall. Also you can't put a shelf or hooks on a pair of French doors. 

On 08/10/2018 at 20:32, Vijay said:

thank you :)

A further idea is to deal with the security issue by having a roller security blind on the outside.

They are unobstrusive and relatively inexpensive if built into the lintels when you do the build.

I have PMed you come photos of one that a friend installed around the millennium.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Hi Ferdinand, 

That would be a good way of dealing with security but I would still have the issue of the width. So having french doors is kinda ruled out, will go down the garage door or double opening doors now I reckon