Spreadsheet of build costs

Tony K

Does anyone have a spreadsheet breakdown of their self build costs for anew house they wouldn't mind sharing (even if the figures are removed)?

I am not trying to use anyone else's spreadsheet as a costs guide, I just want as thorough a list of itemised costs as I can get to save me drawing up my own one from scratch when so many people must have done it already.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tony K said:

Does anyone have a spreadsheet breakdown of their self build costs for anew house they wouldn't mind sharing (even if the figures are removed)?

I am not trying to use anyone else's spreadsheet as a costs guide, I just want as thorough a list of itemised costs as I can get to save me drawing up my own one from scratch when so many people must have done it already.

Thanks

Yep - PM me your email address 

Once you've got one, it's keeping it fed and watered thats the issue.

Spreadsheets are worse than children. Instead of ' .. needing ... ' this or that, spreadsheets just sit there silently sneering at you - 

You haven't updated me recently have you? Hmmm, you'll see....

Listing itemised costs is difficult. How much detail? Enough to be meaningful, but not so much as a book keeper might require? Going to cost in the extra travel, the additional phone calls?

Consider keeping an online version so you can update it from multiple platforms .

Good luck

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Once you've got one, it's keeping it fed and watered thats the issue.

Spreadsheets are worse than children. 

Ya think? I’d much rather sit with a spready than do the hoovering (or deal with kids). Get them structured right and pivot tables are a thing of beauty providing a sense of budget control, or at least an awareness where it’s out of control. I doubt I would have contained costs as effectively without mine, and at the end it became my VAT reclaim with little effort. 

• Thanks 1

It's  minute by minute insistence compared to silent reality.

I agree, spreadsheets are a fantastic tool: sensibly applied, they  make a huge difference. And having an auto-update VAT reclaim tool is a life saver.

I missed a trick - should have trained our children to update our spreadsheet for us. Ah well. ?

58 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I missed a trick - should have trained our children to update our spreadsheet for us. Ah well. ?

Nah, you should have taught them to tile the roof, then you could sit inside in the warm with your spready and monitor progress through the window ? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My name is Tamara, I have just joined the build hub community wow lots of information and posts to read through thanks....while browsing I came across a post that was of interest, I am about to start a new build and had spotted a posts regarding new building spreadsheet, I must say its been several years since I put my office skills to test and I think I am about to experience an awakening of costs, schedules and admin....and the rest!! if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

On 02/10/2018 at 18:23, JSHarris said:

I have an outdated copy of ours on our blog, here: http://www.mayfly.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Simplified-costing-spreadsheet-050421014.pdf

Bear in mind that it's four years old, plus I failed to keep it updated with the final costs...

On 03/10/2018 at 09:14, PeterW said:

Try this Sample_Costbook.txt

Rename from txt to xslx

There are 2 here @Tamara. Might be worth downloading these to begin with. 

I'm not sure what stage you are at in relation to your new build but there will be some prep admin to do. Firstly does your build have a CIL attached to it? If so and it's a build for you to live in (for 3 years at least) you can apply to lift it but only before you have started any build work. If there is no CIL then happy days. 

Secondly have a read through the VAT reclaim thread so that you understand what you can claim for and what you can't, and those invoices that should be zero rated and those that can't be. It helps to be very organised as far as the tracking of invoices goes as not only does it make it less of a chore to do the VAT claim at the end, but it should highlight any issues with the invoice early on rather than trying to sort things out at the end. Reply on the VAT thread if you have any questions on that subject. There is a fair bit to read but will be something for you to do over Christmas ;)

What sort of house are you building? Any plans to share? We all love to see details of other people's projects. 

21 hours ago, Tamara said:

My name is Tamara, I have just joined the build hub community wow lots of information and posts to read through thanks....while browsing I came across a post that was of interest, I am about to start a new build and had spotted a posts regarding new building spreadsheet, I must say its been several years since I put my office skills to test and I think I am about to experience an awakening of costs, schedules and admin....and the rest!! if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Welcome.

A good time may be when everybody else is whinging about not having anything else to do when they do not want to watch James Bond or the Snowman in Christmas Day, and vanish for a Spreadsheet Nerd-Out with a cup of decent coffee and some nuts.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2018 at 16:38, newhome said:

There are 2 here @Tamara. Might be worth downloading these to begin with. 

I'm not sure what stage you are at in relation to your new build but there will be some prep admin to do. Firstly does your build have a CIL attached to it? If so and it's a build for you to live in (for 3 years at least) you can apply to lift it but only before you have started any build work. If there is no CIL then happy days. 

Secondly have a read through the VAT reclaim thread so that you understand what you can claim for and what you can't, and those invoices that should be zero rated and those that can't be. It helps to be very organised as far as the tracking of invoices goes as not only does it make it less of a chore to do the VAT claim at the end, but it should highlight any issues with the invoice early on rather than trying to sort things out at the end. Reply on the VAT thread if you have any questions on that subject. There is a fair bit to read but will be something for you to do over Christmas ;)

What sort of house are you building? Any plans to share? We all love to see details of other people's projects. 

Happy New Year, Thanks for everyone's replies... new year new house plans awaiting approval, Challenge is to get organised and read all of this great content... watch this space...will update with project details as I get going....Thank you 

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Shadowplay said:

Hi,

Just wondering would anyone have an example of a spreadsheet to manage/ control costs

Welcome to Buildhub.

There's a fairly simple cost spreadsheet for our build in this blog entry: http://www.mayfly.eu/2014/04/part-twenty-nine-some-details-that-may-be-of-interest/

• 5 months later...

Hi All

Would anyone be willing to share a costing / spend spreadsheet with me also?  I have one started, but not sure I am on the right tracks.  Excel version would be great.  Also any other sheets (work flow/simple critical path) that they have found useful.

Many thanks

Sally

• 7 months later...