MOE Room in roof design

Oz07

On a job at the minute where it is arric trusses and room in roof. There is no MOE on first floor. There are roof windows however these are too high in the roof plane and also too small opening. The bc drawings showed larger windows lower down. Obviously would have complied with moe. The bco is just making the builder put fire doors and frames in. Is this not a bit naughty as a workaround? Alright having a 30min fire door but if fire ain't out after 30mins you're cooked

6 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

On a job at the minute where it is arric trusses and room in roof. There is no MOE on first floor. There are roof windows however these are too high in the roof plane and also too small opening. The bc drawings showed larger windows lower down. Obviously would have complied with moe. The bco is just making the builder put fire doors and frames in. Is this not a bit naughty as a workaround? Alright having a 30min fire door but if fire ain't out after 30mins you're cooked

I think an alternative MOE is only required above 1st Floor Level in a loft room.

IMO it would be sensible to have one, however.

I did the wiring for a loft conversion once, and on final inspection the BC found the cill of the MOE roof windows was 1"  too high. He insisted on a fixed 1" high step being placed in front of the window before he would sign it off.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I did the wiring for a loft conversion once, and on final inspection the BC found the cill of the MOE roof windows was 1"  too high. He insisted on a fixed 1" high step being placed in front of the window before he would sign it off.

I think house or bungalow is relevant here.

36 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Hold on though this is a new build which is 2 storey. Surely the fact that it is 'room in roof' / attic truss design doesn't negate the need for an MOE on first floor.

Digging a little, I think it needs a means of egress for each room in addition to the protected stairway under B1 Section 2.4 of Approved Document B.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf