Fence paint

lizzie

Any recommendations for a good fence paint I can have mixed for colour.

I bought Cuprinol ducksback in a grey and have done a lot of fence with it but it has dried to a sort of inky blue not the mid grey it was when wet.  Looks very wrong on my fences so will have to overpaint with something lighter.....its rough sawn timber.

Somebody else may know how easy it is to paint on top of that ... the docs for Ducksback say it has a "Wax-enriched formula", which (to me) implies a possible difficulty in overpainting, which perhaps suggests taking careful advice and perhaps a test patch or even a different shade of the same stuff.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

yep its a worry as the colour is horrid and looks awful. I did think it wasn't right but OH said we couldn't get a fair picture until we had more done so I spent 4 hours yesterday painting it and now he doesn't like it either.  Need a lighter grey.

My recommendation with these sort of events (something turning out an unexpected shade etc..) is to leave it for a few months and then see if you still notice or care.

Very tempting to try and fix it in the moment when you're focused on it ....

• Like 2

Colour isn't too bad. I would leave it and see if it fades. Paint it light next time.

On sawn timber I prefer wood stains (Ronseal etc) which I spray with a cheap hoselock pump up garden sprayer. It ruins the sprayer but the small ones aren't much more expensive than several good brushes.

• Thanks 1

Mine is hit and miss too so I can appreciate how long it took ?. We must both be hit and miss with the colour choice too as I don’t really like mine. Dried much more orange than I expected, but as per some comments above after 2 years I don’t care much. And it hasn’t faded either lol. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, newhome said:

And it hasn’t faded either lol.

I think that is the wrong answer ?, particularly as your 2 years in the howling Scottish salt-laden eviscerating gales is equivalent to about 10 in the gentle Shires of the South.

In a minute you'll tell us you used the same paint !

• Haha 1

Looks fine to me but your the one who has to live with it. Just be aware that if you overpaint with a lighter colour it’s going to need a few coats. I know as I did the same thing but in brown Cuprinol ducks back. In the end I really liked the two tone colour and am repainting my whole massive shed with another two coats light brown first and then dark brown  (4 in total !)  I got the paint of amazon for £10 per 5 litres so decided to go crazy ! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cpd said:

In the end I really liked the two tone colour

@lizzie, is this a good point to introduce that well known bird Anas fulvigula, the Mottled Duck, as a suitable mood and texture board for this putative fence painted in Ducks Back?

Its back has an undertone of greyish, and a dominant colour of brown and a patch of bright, inky blue. Really quite fetching.

20181002-mottled-duck.jpg.52b0d9e0086ee5f98cdf128f063c6494.jpg

Credit: Macaulay Library.

If the top coat flakes, you will get an attractive, naturalistic, pattern.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2