Wireless Home Alarm System

I have asked a local company to upgrade or replace our existing home alarm system which is 15 years old. I wanted one of the newer systems that would allow me to set and unset the alarm from my phone and be alerted if there were any activations etc on my phone.

The company have suggested fitting a Pyronix wireless sytem from scratch in my home as the existing PIRs etc are so old, which is understandable. My concern is that I always assumed wireless systems were just for quick DIY installers - not professional installers. Am I wrong? Perhaps wireless has moved on as has all technology but I had assumed they would have recommended a wired system.

Any thoughts?

I have a 10 year old Visonic system that uses wireless PIR sensors only. I've found them to be very good. If you disable the LED on them the battery lasts more than a year. Visonic normally only support professional installations but you can buy the bits and DIY which is what I did.

I'm not up to date on their latest products so don't know if their phone support has changed/improved. I think you can arm/disarm it using your phone but we normally use their wireless key fobs like you have for a car. If you do use a phone you interact with the alarm via the keypad on the phone not an app. That may have changed though.

Guest Alphonsox

The Texecom Ricochet system seems to be well regarded and used by professional installers.I have the hard wired version and have had no issues.

• 9 months later...

*bump*

Current recommendations? specifically something that is DIY-able.

Yale? Texecom?

I’m assuming I will need a “proffessional” (sic) to wire in the control box - although there is an old alarm control box connected up already. Not is use though.

We have a Texecom alarm with wired motion detectors in the ground floor, basement (room with an external door) and the two bedrooms with balconies. Was specced in as part of the electrical quote.

I have genuinely never switched in on in 3 years of it being installed. Really don't see the point tbh. 

Will it deter a determined burglar? Probably not. 

Will it deter a casual burglar? Maybe but the gates, window shutters etc would probably have the same effect.

If we're out and it goes off, no-one will pay a blind bit of notice.

If we're in, I'd hope we'd hear them coming through the fairly robust doors and windows. 

Also the now teenage kids are likely to go to bed after us so would inevitably set it off once we were asleep! 

@Bitpipe I think insurers would not be happy if no alarm....whether or not you use it is another matter of course.  I only use mine if we are all out or if away as if any problems insurers unlikely to pay out if alarm not set........getting in would be a challenge though.

Just now, lizzie said:

@Bitpipe I think insurers would not be happy if no alarm....whether or not you use it is another matter of course.  I only use mine if we are all out or if away as if any problems insurers unlikely to pay out if alarm not set........getting in would be a challenge though.

Exactly - I have it as a default, for insurance and future resale.

But I never use it :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Most insurers only accept monitored and maintained alarms as a discount, and the discount is buttons..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Most insurers only accept monitored and maintained alarms as a discount, and the discount is buttons..

It's not for discount, its for security. Ins co were happy with my 'unmonitored' system......I didn't want a discount.  Mine  goes to phone to alert me and if I go away I have the option of the call centre at alarm co picking up on a temp basis.  I also have a maintenance contract with alarm co.  It's not the same as the all singing and dancing commercial alarm contracts we have but those are a nightmare in domestic situations with the changed rules from police for call outs now.

3 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

We have a Texecom alarm with wired motion detectors in the ground floor, basement (room with an external door) and the two bedrooms with balconies. Was specced in as part of the electrical quote.

I have genuinely never switched in on in 3 years of it being installed. Really don't see the point tbh. 

Will it deter a determined burglar? Probably not. 

Will it deter a casual burglar? Maybe but the gates, window shutters etc would probably have the same effect.

If we're out and it goes off, no-one will pay a blind bit of notice.

If we're in, I'd hope we'd hear them coming through the fairly robust doors and windows. 

Also the now teenage kids are likely to go to bed after us so would inevitably set it off once we were asleep! 

Its a deterrent and can be genuinely wireless (ergo, easy)

6 minutes ago, daiking said:

Its a deterrent and can be genuinely wireless (ergo, easy)

I always wonder that beyond the blinky box on the wall where the real deterrent is - I've a few local friends who were burgled (period properties, simple Yale on the front door and forgot to engage mortice) some happened daytime and some at night - in all cases the thieves were in their house for less than 90 seconds, grabbed what they could see (laptops, phones, money) and legged it.

They were caught and turned out to be the usual junkies with a charge list as long as your arm. Not sure a ringing alarm would have deterred them that much :) 

56 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I always wonder that beyond the blinky box on the wall where the real deterrent is - I've a few local friends who were burgled (period properties, simple Yale on the front door and forgot to engage mortice) some happened daytime and some at night - in all cases the thieves were in their house for less than 90 seconds, grabbed what they could see (laptops, phones, money) and legged it.

They were caught and turned out to be the usual junkies with a charge list as long as your arm. Not sure a ringing alarm would have deterred them that much :) 

The deterrent is always to like not the easiet target.

You'll never know how many times you weren't burgled because you had a basic alarm fitted :D

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Parents in law were burgled last year in spite of an alarm being installed. They went in from a first floor balcony, alarm immediately went off, they went through all the upstairs drawers and cupboards at high speed looking for jewellery and watches, then checked the study for valuables. Interestingly, they left two decent laptops in the study and a credit card that was sitting in clear view in a desk drawer that they opened.

According to the police, this is the current MO. At least around our way, they don't want electrical goods, because they're too hard to flog without risk.

I’m thinking of installing CCTV monitoring, alarms are pointless, as no one responds to them. I’m thinking if I can see someone around the house (via the App) I can shout at them from a beach somewhere, or call the Police!

Round here it’s tools, garden stuff, mowers, small farm maintenance equipment etc. stuff they can lift and shift quickly and sell on without too many questions. 

Edited by Triassic

39 minutes ago, daiking said:

You'll never know how many times you weren't burgled because you had a basic alarm fitted :D

The slabs on the patio are probably the most expensive possession I have right now.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

"Police are hunting thieves who stole an entire cobbled street in Liverpool."

Back in the 80's my Girlfriend's parents lived in Aintree.  One Sunday afternoon they were sitting in the back garden and heard a noise in the house.

Her Father went to investigate and there was some bloke carrying out their TV.  When confronted with "What you doing", the thief said "taking your TV".

The thief then walked out, put it in a van and drove off.

Liverpool was great in the 80's.  Now what happened to Derek Hatton.

Edited by SteamyTea