Wall hung basin - do I need a frame?

Hi guys,

As the title says, I am planning to install a wall hung basin in the ensuite. I already have a Geberit toilet frame next to it. Do I need a frame to do this too? The water inlet and waste pipe are about 50mm from the wall and space is limited as I only have just over 40cm to the door.

Alternatively I was thinking to use a countertop vanity unit and continue the false wall level of the toilet under the vanity too. This way I could mount the unit and countertop straight onto the wall and hide everything else behind the false wall.

What do you think?

4 minutes ago, success1980 said:

Hi guys,

As the title says, I am planning to install a wall hung basin in the ensuite. I already have a Geberit toilet frame next to it. Do I need a frame to do this too? The water inlet and waste pipe are about 50mm from the wall and space is limited as I only have just over 40cm to the door.

Alternatively I was thinking to use a countertop vanity unit and continue the false wall level of the toilet under the vanity too. This way I could mount the unit and countertop straight onto the wall and hide everything else behind the false wall.

What do you think?

I’ve used four Geberit frames for our toilets 

But just used £25 frames for our wall hung basins 

Teally easy to install 

BF3DA3FB-3528-497D-B411-E1D94C27B7DF.jpeg

Thanks for your reply. I would feel more comfortable with the stability of a frame but am unsure if the frame takes too much of my space away as I have to more the wall forward by 10cm. Makes total sense though to use a frame like you did, unlike a toilet frame its main purpose is support of tha basin, nothing functionally.

24 minutes ago, success1980 said:

Thanks for your reply. I would feel more comfortable with the stability of a frame but am unsure if the frame takes too much of my space away as I have to more the wall forward by 10cm. Makes total sense though to use a frame like you did, unlike a toilet frame its main purpose is support of tha basin, nothing functionally.

Yes that’s all the basin frame does

From memory I think it needs to take up a minimum of 120 mil

18 minutes ago, success1980 said:

There are some 2x4 in the wall I am planning a "floating" cabinet underneath and can fix that to the wall too. I could even let it rest on another piece of timber I screw to the wall.

Check the basin manufacturers installation instructions. Most only have a pair of M12 bolts that either fit into wood or rawl plugs. 

We have a wall mounted basin in our WC. I think this one is discontinued and perhaps too shallow front to back for an ensuite anyway. It's bolted to a block wall but would be ok on a suitably reinforced stud wall. Deeper basins are available with brackets to provide additional support.

Basin.thumb.jpg.972d9205d8dbe36818d576da004d910b.jpg

On 30/09/2018 at 08:56, PeterStarck said:

I used frames for two of my basins and for the other basin I used a Fischer fixing kit screwed into a strengthened area of stud wall.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+%26+Fixings/d90/Fixing+Packs/sd3310/Fischer+Wash+Basin+Fixing+Kit/p86297

P5250007.thumb.JPG.34f831718aa30d1c1250bdf801f537e5.JPG

Which toilet system have you used Peter? TIA

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Which toilet system have you used Peter? TIA

We bought all our bathroom equipment from Bathstore. We got it in the sales and because we have three bathrooms we got extra discount for buying three of everything.