Insulated roofing sheets

Russell griffiths

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Has anybody used the insulated roof sheets, like the ones on big warehouses, I think kingspan make a lot of them. 

Having a bit of a rethink on our roof after just visiting a neighbour putting up a big barn. 

Cheers russ. 

Noisy and generally difficult to work with. Experience - bil used it for the extendi bit at the back of a terrace.

In particular, difficult to cut tidily. I think the technique is to do it in 2 cuts .. the metal separately from the insulation.

If using it, I would be ordering the stuff in exactly the right sizzle.

Flashing pieces and profiles should be available.

Others May have better experience.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

We have just finished the roof on a 1950's barn conversion using Kingspan ks1000 sheeting with 150mm quad-core insulation. This has given a u value of 0.12 which we needed for our passive house. Our sheets were 5.5m long and weighed about 90kg each so were awkward to lift. We have fixed directly onto either metal z purlins or timber and both were ok to do. Generally we are very pleased and would recommend but we wanted an 'industrial' finish.

@Simon Brooke. This is one of the arrangements we are considering, so very keen to hear how you got on. 

1. Are you just using the panel seals for airtightness, or did you add something else e.g. taping/sealing the joints? How has that worked out?

2. Did you add any additional vapour control below, or just rely on the panels?

3. How is the acoustic? Have you got anything else underneath it before the internal? (One of our options is to have it exposed bare).

4. Did you look at the 147mm kingzip insulated panels as an alternative? Only 0.15 u value, so I assume you went with the KS1000 for U value reasons. Annoyingly they don't do the kingzip in quadcore, though the website doesn't mention quadcore for the ks1000 either. 

Edited by kxi
Misread original post, so thought was talking about a slightly different product

Couple of pictures attached. Rendering should take place over the next few weeks if we can decide on which through colour render to use! Recommendations welcomed.

Kingspan rate their roof at 3 air changes so not good enough for us. To beef it up we have used pro clima at all junctions including the ridge. Time will tell if this will be enough but it was quite easy to put on.

At the moment we can hear the rain but are quite happy with this as we had a tin roof when we lived in Australia. It is not too noticeable and we haven't got ceiling up yet.

U value was the driver as the barn shape is not ideal for a passive house.

We are based in Somerset and would be very happy to receive a visit to view in the flesh.

P_20180930_095603_1_p.jpg

P_20180930_095751_1_p.jpg

P_20180724_100947_1_p.jpg

• Like 1

@Simon Brooke Thanks very much. Looks fantastic.

To clarify - you just taped the joins? (I.e. pro clima tape, not the additional membrane).  Isocab have similar quadcore panels (they are part of kingspan I think) and say that when joints are ‘finished’ they give <0.04 m3/hm2 at 50pa  http://www.ecohomepanel.com/brochure_en/18/  which suggests it's doable. 

If you are putting a ceiling up under them, I suppose you could add some mineral wool in between the rafters/purlins if the noise was bothersome.

What have you done/plan to do for the wall build-up, as I assume insulation will be internal? I couldn't see any quad core sheets available. They do do the karrier wall panels, but that seems an expensive approach inside a wall.

Yes we have just used tape and no membrane. Not really what the architect advised but her solution was overkill. We could put some more insulation between the ceiling and the roof panels but we are quite relaxed about listening to the rain. Our walls are unusual in that we had a largely existing rendered block wall which we were not allowed to extend beyond so we built a second inner skin of insulated blocks and did a full fill of knauf earthwool to provide the necessary u value. The earthwool was very nice to use and much better than the old style spun glass.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

We intend to use the Kingspan benchmark insulated panels. We were drawn to it as the standing seam can be applied directly to it rather than having to cover the roof with an additional layer of OSB to create a ventilation gap under the substrate.

Yes it was done last week. The figure of 1.48 was a bit disappointing but we had been forewarned by the assessor that the shape and retrofit nature of the build would make it impossible to achieve our .6 target so i was quite relaxed. We still have ceilings and walls to line wth plasterboard so we may yet get it a bit lower. The assessor was excellent and spent a fair bit of time identifying air leaks in the fabric which should also help us improve the result. Interestingly, whilst there may be small air leakage through the roof this is not  where we have to concentrate our efforts.