Boarding for an attached garage

vivienz

I had a quick chat with my BCO today to confirm that an FD30 fire door is sufficient for the door between my utility room and garage. The garage isn't part of the thermal envelope so as well as fire resistance, the door also needs to be insulated and be able to be locked like a front door.  I've been browsing online but are there any pointers of where to look for these?

The BCO also mumbled something about the kind of boarding I will need to use in the garage. Unfortunately there was a lot of noise in the house when we spoke so I didn't catch all of it. Again, can anyone enlighten me on the requirements for this?

Ours is 2 layers of the pink 15mm thick fireline plasterboard, with staggered joints (i.e joints on first later are in a different place to second layer) for both walls and ceiling (plant room is above the garage)

The only proper solution for the door issue I could find would be a fire rated external door. So we have compromised and used a standard FD30 internal fire door, but added extra draught proof strip around the door frame as well as the intumescent strip.  Our garage walls are insulated to the same standard as the house, but the "insulated" roller door will let the insulation down seriously so it will be a cold place, but hopefully warmer than outside!!!

Standard 5 lever lock.  I just need to find a way to stop the draught through the key hole.  We don't p;an locking it from the inside when we are in, so I will probably just block off the inside key hole.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JamesP said:

@PeterW @ProDave

Can I confirm that this applies to an attached garage.

I have just started building our garage which is detached and using OSB on the walls and standard plaster board for the ceiling.

Yes mine is attached.

If the garage is detached by >1M I don't think it has any particular requirements.

• Thanks 1

On 27/09/2018 at 21:58, Pete said:

My detached garage is 12.5m x 6m and the BCO wants me to board the ceiling. When I asked him why he said it was due to the size.

My detached garage 10m x 12m did not require the ceiling to be boarded, timber structure with metal roofing.

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

My detached garage 10m x 12m did not require the ceiling to be boarded, timber structure with metal roofing.

Thanks for that. Will have to dig into the regs a bit more and find out his reasoning behind this