Level thresholds in thin air

lizzie

You may recall my leaking sliders saga.  Eventually it was resolved and no more water ingress.

The problem was caused by the level thresholds sitting on the slab with no drainage rebate underneath......great thinking from window company and project manager,  I wont start ranting about the useless so called professionals again that ship has long sailed now just need to find an answer to the remaining problem area.

The remedial work undertaken was to cut out part of the slab to allow the thresholds to drain out and that works but it was not possible to get a drainage channel under the thresholds as there should have been so the weep holes drain directly out onto the patio.  The thresholds sit about 10cm off the pato tile outside (inside is fine) I can get a finger under the gap between threshold and patio tile. They should be flush to the tile but cannot be becuase that would block the drainage weep holes and we would have water inside again.

I need a solution.........ideas so far....possibly something fabricated  with drainage holes?  Some grout or mastic with gaps where weep holes discharge.......but that still leaves level thresholds with a 10mm ‘step’

A very poor photo attached.  All suggestions gratefully received thank you.

89579178-744D-4EB2-A4EA-67AE0E870F5B.jpeg

they are Internorm lift and slide doors. The drainage holes are just where the threshold (underneath) meets the tiles, thats in the 10mm gap. The drainage holes should empty into a drainage channel below and then tiles laid flush to threshold but because of cock up there is no drainage channel underneath so holes have to be able to drain onto patio

12 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I cannot see an issue with this draining onto the patio.

no thats not the issue.

What I have to resolve is how to deal with the unsightly gap with thresholds not fitted properly. It doesnt look quite so bad in the photo but looks awful in reality plus debris is gathering under there and will block the drainage holes.  Also the  aluminium threshold flexes if you step on it.  It is not designed to be unsupported it is designed to sit flat on the ground.

What I need is a way of filling or covering the 10mm gap whilst still allowing the water to escape.....and something that looks reasonable too.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d look at a 10x30mm rectangular profile and wedge that under the edge, leaving the gaps for the drainage. Not ideal but probably the best you can do. 

Thanks Peter would you be able to point me at such a profile or do I need to get one fabricated.

8 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

@lizzie i'm presuming you don't want to remove it to do it properly

Ha ha ... we discussed that when it was finally worked out what the leak problem was.  We would have had to dismantle a whole load of house to get the windows out.....its a lot of sliders more than 10 linear metres, no one wanted to try and get all the cladding off to get the windows out trying to cause minimal damage to internal plaster, porcelain floor tiling and floor uplighters very close to threshold then cut out the slab under the threshold area and try and reassemble it all.  The house was internally and externally pretty complete, the windows had leaked badly since the day they went in months before but the build carried on around the leaks even though the floor had puddles and the plaster up the walls was wet. Eventually I had to involve Internorm themselves to get to the bottom of it.

10 hours ago, lizzie said:

no thats not the issue.

What I have to resolve is how to deal with the unsightly gap with thresholds not fitted properly. It doesnt look quite so bad in the photo but looks awful in reality plus debris is gathering under there and will block the drainage holes.  Also the  aluminium threshold flexes if you step on it.  It is not designed to be unsupported it is designed to sit flat on the ground.

What I need is a way of filling or covering the 10mm gap whilst still allowing the water to escape.....and something that looks reasonable too.

I have the same sliding door arrangement and my cill does not move. It is rock solid all the way along. I wonder if it was not supported enough underneath when installed. Hope you manage to get it all sorted with those trims.

• Thanks 1