Lucky Escape

Hecateh

Just had a really lucky escape.

I asked this guy to lay my flooring.  There was something about him that irritated me but no real red flags.  It was going to be today but I put him off until tomorrow.  Another guy knocked on the door earlier this morning looking for him.  I said that I had postponed the job until tomorrow.  And that I had let him know on Tuesday.  'Why?' was my next question, 'have you lost him?' 

'Yes - there's a lot of people looking for him.  He's done a runner with a lot of money that customers had paid up front to buy materials.'

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I would have him call out tomorrow but have a welcome committee waiting in the living room. Doubt you will need to provide tea and biscuits for the discussion that will follow.

Definitely a close call.

+1.

I'd love to see his face as he walks in facing the people he's scammed. Record it and post it on YouTube :)

How did you end up choosing him - was he recommended? Strong incentive to always get a reference.

Edited by AliMcLeod

I suspect he's well out of town now.  He's a crook and I don't want him near the place.  I have to go out, leaving workers in the new house that isn't yet occupied.  Rather not risk him taking key impressions or anything similar.  Other workers have left tools in the house when they have been coming regularly.  Suspect some of them may have 'disappeared' if he'd left it a couple more days before disappearing

Much as I would like to see him caught out, I live alone and I don't want him marking my card. 

Apparently when clean he is a good fitter but he uses heroin and never stays clean long.

Edited by Hecateh

If he does turn up. In view of what you have said about living alone and not wanting to antagonise him. Just tell him that a few people have been to your house looking for him for their money, and that its probably best if he makes himself scarce. No need to upset yourself worrying about it.

• Like 2

I agree with Tyke 2 advice.  Don't get involved.  So many utter shysters in the building 'trade', think a lot of them would con their own grandmothers.

I've lost track of where you are with the build (still trying to sort my wretched plant room mysteries) but it sounds like great progress if you are at flooring stage.  Well done.

4 hours ago, Tyke2 said:

If he does turn up. In view of what you have said about living alone and not wanting to antagonise him. Just tell him that a few people have been to your house looking for him for their money, and that its probably best if he makes himself scarce. No need to upset yourself worrying about it.

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

I agree with Tyke 2 advice.  Don't get involved.  So many utter shysters in the building 'trade', think a lot of them would con their own grandmothers.

I've lost track of where you are with the build (still trying to sort my wretched plant room mysteries) but it sounds like great progress if you are at flooring stage.  Well done.

Very good advice I think.  I very much doubt he will turn up, I messaged him on facebook to say that he shouldn't come as my flooring hadn't been delivered (it has) and I was rethinking. And he hasn't even seen it.  I suspect he has bought an 'amount' of heroin and is out of it somewhere. But if he does turn up that is what I am going to say.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tyke2 said:

If you struggle getting somebody,  i do know a few who do fitting. They normally supply also, but will do either. 

If you can recommend someone that would be great - I'll admit it has scared me a bit - I know there are some dodgy characters out there but I just dread to think what could have happened

If you go to Shaw Carpets there are normally loads of business cards for fitters on the notice board.

But I will send you a message with someone I know locally. But I must say that the guys I know are all "lads" it must be something to do with carpet guys.!