Timber Frame Annexe

Wile84

Hi all,

First post and first project of this size so have a few questions....

We are planning on relocating and buying a house with space in the garden to add an annexe for my in laws to come and live with us. A lot of my original research was done via the companies that provide full turn key solutions of which we don't have any interest in as this will be a self build but they all marketed the fact that no planning was required. Speaking to 2 X councils (Rushmoor and Guildford) they have said that any building that you intend to sleep in requires planning and they seemed quite negative about the idea.

So - looking through previous approved applications online I think I have worked out a trend of what is and isn't acceptable. Adequate off street parking (3spaces) a footprint smaller than that of the main house, single storey, ideally no windows facing into next doors gardens / space. The few I saw refused were trying to build a house bigger than the  main house with no off street parking at all etc. Are there any other requirements that people have come up against when doing anything similar?

If the house does not have any PP restrictions, is there anything to stop us building it on the risk that if planning is refused we can then use the building as ancillary to the main house (the UK ruling about keeping  animals etc) and not have to tear it down?

Lastly and this may be a better question in building regs. it will be a timber frame stick build on site and given the size we are looking for - approx 500sqft - I would want to use pad foundations as opposed to traditional dug ones. Do building regulations have any input on this? 

Lots of beginner questions but the planning requirement has thrown me a bit based on what we thought we had planned!!

Thanks all!