Kingspan ASHP GMC board issue

Gav_P

• 3 weeks later...

So after being away for a week I was hoping my new GMC board had been delivered. Unfortunately no such luck. I have raised it with the seller and they are trying to track it down at the moment.

But as a note of warning @joe90; their communication is very poor. It’s taken 3 messages to get a response. You may want to consider this if you haven’t ordered one already.

Thanks Gav, yup I have ordered mine from the Netherlands, apart from finding it difficult to arrange a foreign money transfer their communication was good, it will take a couple of weeks to arrive and will report how I get on.

• Thanks 1

I’ve just been wondering if there is a way to jury rig the ASHP to run without the GMC board. My theory is that there is very little interaction between the GMC board and the other main controller board (can’t remember off the top of my head what it’s called). 

The GMC seems to predominately just connect sensors.

This would confirm that it’s the GMC in both mine and @joe90 is the problem component.

Edited by Gav_P

54 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I’ve just been wondering if there is a way to jury rig the ASHP to run without the GMC board. My theory is that there is very little interaction between the GMC board and the other main controller board (can’t remember off the top of my head what it’s called). 

The GMC seems to predominately just connect sensors.

This would confirm that it’s the GMC in both mine and @joe90 is the problem component.

Unlikely - if it’s the same as a lot of control systems there will be a heartbeat between the main processor and any daughter boards to ensure that signals are correctly interpreted. You would need to know how to spoof this signal or the whole lot will throw an error.  

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Unlikely - if it’s the same as a lot of control systems there will be a heartbeat between the main processor and any daughter boards to ensure that signals are correctly interpreted. You would need to know how to spoof this signal or the whole lot will throw an error.  

Yeah but I was wondering if was more of a go / no go kind of signal. There seems to be just earth, live, neutral and a second “live”  between the boards. But TBH I am just poking about by torch light. 

I wondered if something like the flow switch (that’s connected to the GMC) was the trigger to tell the inverter board to turn on.

That board stores all the setting parameters needed to allow the ASHP to function.  When a new board is fitted a command unit needs to be connected to download all the setting parameters I believe.  I know that if the command unit is disconnected after the main board has been programmed all the set parameters will remain stored in non-volatile memory and the ASHP will function normally (as long as the dry contact control option has been set).  Kingspan programmed their version of the Carrier like this, with preset parameters loaded at the factory, and they then shipped ASHPs without a command unit, at least for some models.

@Gav_P  Your board arrived this morning.  I am glad you sent the complete assembly including the transformer.

First finding, there was no output from the transformer.  Primary winding appears open circuit.

Step 2 try powering the board from a bench power supply fed into the transformer input. As this feeds into a bridge rectifier, the polarity from the bench supply should not matter.  The board powers up and the LED is flashing away. giving 4 flashes, a pause then 1 flash. No doubt a fault code as just about everything is unplugged.

It looks like the overload on the power supply due to the short circuit caused the thermal protection in the transformer to blow.

It may or not be possible to repair the transformer, it might need a new one. I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

These are the GMC fault codes:

image.thumb.png.9c9df2750eb3110d1f175866a5c4610c.png

Sounds like good news, @ProDave.  As it's giving fault codes it suggests to me that the board is alive and working and only the 12 V supply got shorted.  Fingers crossed that replacing the bridge rectifier and fixing/replacing the 12 V transformer fixes it.  With luck it will still have retained the settings in the non-volatile memory, too.

• Like 1

Yes it's a standard chassis mount 240V ac in 12V ac output 667mA transformer needed. The 2 mounting holes are 60mm apart.

I am trying a bit of careful disection to see if I can see a thermal trip but initial thought is if there is one it won't be accessible so will be looking for a new transformer.  I have to go out just now so back later to continue the search.

48 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes it's a standard chassis mount 240V ac in 12V ac output 667mA transformer needed. The 2 mounting holes are 60mm apart.

I am trying a bit of careful disection to see if I can see a thermal trip but initial thought is if there is one it won't be accessible so will be looking for a new transformer.  I have to go out just now so back later to continue the search.

Is that 60mm to the centres or are they slots and its say 55 +/- ?  Some cheapies here. Ive used the company ESR before as has @Nickfromwales I think:

https://www.esr.co.uk/electronics/transformer-chassis.htm

Edited by Onoff

Okay this is the closest I can find https://cpc.farnell.com/camdenboss/ctfc12-12/transformer-12va-2-x-12v/dp/TF01339?st=12v transformer

you can get that from any number of suppliers but they are all the same size.

This is a little bigger than the original. I don't think mounting it on the back of the plastic tray moulding will be a problem, BUT it will stick out 10mm further than the original transformer.  Can someone with sight of how the plastic tray fits into the unit tell me if an extra 10mm clearance for the transformer is available?

EDIT: Just taking a look at the link above that may be more suitable

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Okay this is the closest I can find https://cpc.farnell.com/camdenboss/ctfc12-12/transformer-12va-2-x-12v/dp/TF01339?st=12v transformer

you can get that from any number of suppliers but they are all the same size.

This is a little bigger than the original. I don't think mounting it on the back of the plastic tray moulding will be a problem, BUT it will stick out 10mm further than the original transformer.  Can someone with sight of how the plastic tray fits into the unit tell me if an extra 10mm clearance for the transformer is available?

EDIT: Just taking a look at the link above that may be more suitable

312-112 on the ESR link?

Hooray, my new board has arrived. BEWARE, IT HAS A STATIC DEVISE NOTICE, ONLY HANDLE ON A STATIC SAFE WORKSTATION. I will earth myself before unwrapping it and installing it. I will check the 12volt supply. Currently shifting building materials around site so will attempt to fit/check 12v ASAP and will report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

312-112 on the ESR link?

That is still larger than the original.  The original is a bit of an odd ball, it appears to have a rating of about 8Va but in the same size package of a 6Va transformer.  I don't want to fit a 6VA so the standard 12VA sizes look the best bet.

Now I have confirmation there is space for a slightly bigger one, I will order the CPC one, so much simpler as I have an account with them.

• Thanks 1

.........Stop press........., now it’s stopped raining I have looked at mine and I am getting about 14v ac from my 12v transformer. (So that’s not blown, ) phew. I have replaced the board and.............my little led is flashing as it should ?and no error codes on the command unit. I am going to review the wiring and confirm it’s all ok then try it out. Here’s hoping. ?

what do do you think of my high tech earth strap???

5FB914F8-73A8-4914-9136-716466F39BE1.jpeg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1