Spray painting house

vfrdave

I am thinking about getting the house spray painted internally before 2nd fix.  I am not sure whether this should be best done before or after finished floor is put in.  I believe there is pros and cons for both.  Before you arent worried about overspray onto the finished floor and how that might impact tiling in the future, however you are susceptible to more damage as the vast majority of plumbing would be done after this into the floor build up.  To do it after finish floor you only have 2nd fix to worry about but what about the overspray??

Essentially I want guidance for when to do this inline with the thought of never to paint where you are going to tile.

I have had places sprayed in the past.  Lots of time to mask.  You can fix sockets and  switches and plastic bag them.  The finish is perfect but impossible to touch up, so if anything gets marked it is a pain.  I am not a fan but some on here are.

35 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

It really comes down to the preparation, I've seen it done lots before the floor is in but everyone moans about the mess left either way!

I did it on a renovation project where it took two days + to mask everything with plastic then about a day to paint top to bottom

If your sprayer is experienced you will not get that much more than a stripe round the edge as he is will know how to balance it all to avoid paint bouncing off much.

Back roll after spraying, or do the topcoat with a roller and you can retouch.

I would say spray before floor and skirting then masking is that much less.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I sprayed the inside of my workshop.  Dead easy, no need for masking if you get the settings right - as @Ferdinand says, the key is to keep the pressure down to give a good finish without paint bounce.  I found I could easily spray to within a couple of inches of door frames, with no overspray on to the frame, with a bit of practice.

I didn't backroll, but managed to get a pretty good finish with the gun.  I was amazed at the speed with which you can apply paint - a 5 litre drum of paint seems to just disappear in no time.  My pressure sprayer isn't an expensive one (in fact I may well sell it, as I'm not sure I'll use it again) but it still did an impressive job.  I've used conventional air-driven spray systems a fair bit, both high pressure and an HVLP unit, and so knew enough to be able to handle the gun OK. 

The critical thing seemed to be getting the paint really, really well mixed.  It's absolutely essential that the paint is power mixed for a lot longer than you might think necessary, as it only takes a small bit of thick stuff to clog the gun filter.

I didn't mask anywhere, but used a big painters george, held in my free hand, as a portable mask, as shown in this US video:

5 hours ago, vfrdave said:

I am thinking about getting the house spray painted internally before 2nd fix.  I am not sure whether this should be best done before or after finished floor is put in.  I believe there is pros and cons for both.  Before you arent worried about overspray onto the finished floor and how that might impact tiling in the future, however you are susceptible to more damage as the vast majority of plumbing would be done after this into the floor build up.  To do it after finish floor you only have 2nd fix to worry about but what about the overspray??

Essentially I want guidance for when to do this inline with the thought of never to paint where you are going to tile.

I spray painted ours before I started second fix joinery 

Taped up all the windows 

But still lots of overspray 

fabulous finish though 

I would never spray after floor coverings or tile are down 

What @Ferdinand said.  I had mist coat sprayed on walls plus 2 coats on ceilings; saved me weeks of time. There was no noticeable paint on the floor other than a couple of inches at the floor/wall junction, but I still needed to sand the laitence of the screed so it wasn't a problem anyway. My painter did window reveals etc with a brush and roller, so the only masking was a strip of tape across the top of switches and sockets (unscrewed and pulled off the wall) to protect from falling spray.

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

but I still needed to sand the laitence of the screed

The screed I am going to use is cement based (cemfloor) and apparently won't have laitence or need sanded so don't want to have to do it because of paint.

3 hours ago, nod said:

would never spray after floor coverings or tile are down

Wasn't planning that, I'm not that mad. Don't want the screed floor covered in paint and then needing alot of prep to be able to tile to it.

You really don't get paint anywhere but where you want it if the person doing the spraying takes the time to set the pressure sprayer up properly.  There's no air, so all that comes out of the gun is paint, and unless the pressure is too high (or the nozzle is badly worn) the spray pattern is really tight.  I was really surprised at how little overspray there was, as it was nothing like using an air fed spray system at all.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

You really don't get paint anywhere but where you want it if the person doing the spraying takes the time to set the pressure sprayer up properly.  There's no air, so all that comes out of the gun is paint, and unless the pressure is too high (or the nozzle is badly worn) the spray pattern is really tight.  I was really surprised at how little overspray there was, as it was nothing like using an air fed spray system at all.

Oooom 

Funny I just watched that paint a room on 12 minutes video a couple of days ago.

I was planning to start spraying two days ago for tanking on to concrete block with sandstone cladding but unfortunatelyI machine is caput.... needs a new liner??

• 2 years later...

Hello, I know this is an old thread but still seems relevant.

How many of you spray painted your house after the 1st fix and didn’t use a professional? Really looking for advice about a non professional doing this! The upstairs to our new first floor is approx 100sqm has 3.5m high vaulted ceilings (its an asymmetric pitch with 3 smaller dormers with nearly the same maximum height to them as the central ridge). I was intending on painting this myself the typical way with a roller, but I am a very slight and not particularly tall or strong so I am wondering if really spray painting might be my friend now I have seen just how far away a lot of the ceilings and walls are, I’d obviously need to hire something for it. Concerned I will struggle to do it the traditional way without getting back/shoulder injuries especially given the height.  Intention was probably to buy a small scaffold tower whatever painting route is chosen.