Help required wiring my ASHP/UFH

joe90

17 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Just to be clear, what does “nothing now” mean? LED off all the time? LED on all the time? LED still going at 1/2 Hz? I'd assume the first but as well to be sure.

No led flashing or otherwise, ASHP won’t fire up, command unit still working (see above) but external temp missing ?? So some data from ASHP but perhaps the air temp sensor is 12volt driven? (Pure guess work). Waiting to hear from Carrier and French supplier @JSHarris found for me.

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d be telling Wunda to pay up as they have clearly misled you and caused damage. 

@Hecateh are these the stats that Wunda have sent you too..?? 

@PeterW On advice from you and Nick I didn't get the stats, will buy those separately.  You suggested I got the ones that @JSHarris recommended.  Not got them yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No led flashing or otherwise, ASHP won’t fire up, command unit still working (see above) but external temp missing ?? So some data from ASHP but perhaps the air temp sensor is 12volt driven? (Pure guess work). Waiting to hear from Carrier and French supplier @JSHarris found for me.

From your description there's no data coming from the ASHP, but the unregulated 12 V supply is OK, as that's what powers the command unit.  There are several sensors in the ASHP that all send data via the serial data link to the command unit, on request, including the external temperature and humidity.  The room temperature sensor is inside the command unit, so not reliant on the data link to the ASHP main board.

A quick additional check as to whether there is communication between the command unit and the ASHP main board would be to try and look at some of the sensor data using the diagnostic function in the command unit.  My money is on there being no data communication, which would almost certainly mean that the main board has suffered a fairly catastrophic failure. 

Worth trying the diagnostic menu, though, to be sure.  Look for an E3 error code on the command unit, as this indicates communication failure, and is displayed briefly in the external temperature display before that just goes blank.

22 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

@PeterW On advice from you and Nick I didn't get the stats, will buy those separately.  You suggested I got the ones that @JSHarris recommended.  Not got them yet.

I've found the Computherm Q3RF thermostats to work very well, and can confirm that they definitely have dry contacts on the receivers, so are safe to use with a low voltage DC control system.  If you want a programmable thermostat, then the Computherm Q7RF looks pretty good.

The main reason I chose the Computherm stats was that they have the option of changing the switching hysteresis to +/- 0.1 deg C, which helps to reduce temperature overshoot in our application.

Computherm Q3RF.pdf

Thanks Jeremy, will look later (frankly I am fed up and going to drive my tractor and cut the grass in the field). Still waiting fir Carrier and French suppliers to respond.  I have sent WUNDA  a terse but polite Email telling them their technical advise department gave me duff info resulting in blowing the board and costing me about £100. I await their reply.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It Really is not my day, now my tractor won’t start, at least there is no electronics In that.

Pub? Just to reflect and have some time out away from the problem. Hope you get things sorted. (At not much cost to yourself)

• Like 1

No, having a coffee, reflecting, but i have a Bottle of wine for tonight ? after stress induced health problems over the years I promised myself I would not get stressed with this build  (friends did not think this was possible) but it is, and I am not, I get frustrated but refuse to allow my blood pressure to rise. Chill.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

? I get frustrated but refuse to allow my blood pressure to rise. Chill.

I'm with you on that one, what's a £100 and a weeks delay in the grand scheme of things, nothing worth worrying about! Just think of the poor buggers on Grand Designs wasting thousands digging holes for over complicated foundations or buying taps at hundreds of Pounds, because they look nice!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Right, got a reply from Wunda, they say the stat is clearly marked as switched 240v, 3 amp and they deny they told me it was a volt free contact . My word against theirs I suppose.

Well, seeing as there is an audit trail as to what you did here, in this thread, I think Wunda are bang out of order.  Certainly not a company I'd do business with again, that's for sure.  I'm tempted to point them at this thread so they can read for themselves about the way they mislead you and caused you to damage the main board of your ASHP.

Hopefully others might read this thread and choose not to deal with Wunda, given that their advice and technical data is so bad.  Worth noting that they don't have the technical details for that thermostat on their website, either.  The installation instructions I dug out and posted earlier came from TPS, not Wunda.

55 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, I think @PeterW had the same problem trying to source a TRV for his manifold.

IIRC, wasn't that Wunda not knowing anything about a product they were selling?

The thing that gets me with them denying what they told you on the phone, is that their plain wrong technical advice could have killed you, rather than just blown the ASHP main board.  They told you that the contacts were isolated and that the case of the product had been marked wrongly, so you might have taken them at their word, handled the wiring from the supposedly isolated contacts and been electrocuted because they weren't isolated at all.

I bet a court would have taken the advice they gave, and which you relayed here, into account if such a dreadful thing had happened.  I think the clear message is to not trust anything they say in future, as trusting their advice might just kill someone.

• Thanks 1

Also a good reason for dealing by email as much as possible.

Partly because you'd have a written record (forgeable, of course, if not digitally signed [¹]) but also possibly avoiding a misunderstanding on the phone and giving the person you communicated with time to check what they were saying. E.g., have another look at the datasheet or talk to a colleague. Or even get a meter out.

[¹] But then there are lawyers who think faxes are evidence ?

10 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Also a good reason for dealing by email as much as possible.

Partly because you'd have a written record (forgeable, of course, if not digitally signed [¹]) but also possibly avoiding a misunderstanding on the phone and giving the person you communicated with time to check what they were saying. E.g., have another look at the datasheet or talk to a colleague. Or even get a meter out.

[¹] But then there are lawyers who think faxes are evidence ?

Yup, I have 20 20 hindsight ?

on another point with this should I use this stat to operate a relay to operate the ASHP (means the relay is always on when heating is required) or should I find  room stat that has a dry contact?

answers on a postcard to @joe90

Right, a new day (and I got my tractor going ?) I just got a call from Carrier and they are going to contact their factory In France and check availability and price for this GMC board, they tried to tell me I needed to pay for an engineer visit to diagnose the fault but I talked them out of that saying I had been given professional advise elsewhere. It will take a couple of days to get a reply. I will post it. I think I have decided to programme the UFH using the command unit in the cloakroom but keep the Wunda room stat in the hallway just to display the temp (not going to tell er indoors, she will play with the temp etc but it won’t change what I have done ?) plus the fact it will hide a hole in the wall.

• Haha 2

Wow... I missed all this saga! I can’t believe we both have an issue with the GMC board. 

I’m interested to find out what carrier suggest as a spare, as I just ordered the eBay item from france. 

Have you you done any investigation of components on the board? I figured I’d just make things worse if I started poking about on my board! 

Just now, Gav_P said:

I figured I’d just make things worse if I started poking about on my board! 

Oh yes, I can do electrical stuff but not electronics, frankly I read your thread and the replies regarding how difficult they are to repair that I decided a new board was a must. I am also trending to buy genuine parts as there is so much copy stuff out there and the ASHP is central to our heating. As I said I got a quote from Holland fir £119 plus VAT (that’s with 50% discount) and waiting fir Carrier to give me a price. Jeremy found one on an Italian website (can’t read Italian) and if anyone else finds another source please let me know. Gav, let me know when you get yours from France.

I got my command unit from a carrier branch In England, Southampton I think. People on the forum were searching for them, I just rang Carrier in America and they gave me the number to ring over here, an on the shelf item.