After planning permission has been granted (Materials + Tech drawings)

Sjk

Hi all,

Very close to having PP granted for our new build, finally! 

We are in a conservation area and the planning officer has said I need to show samples of materials, does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone know if I need to document this? If so is it something I can easily do myself?

Also, I know some people on here have done their own technical drawings, but I think I will probably have to pay someone, is there a fairly standard price for this? Also are you able to give your input into this?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sjk

2 minutes ago, Sjk said:

[...]

We are in a conservation area and the planning officer has said I need to show samples of materials, does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone know if I need to document this? If so is it something I can easily do myself?

[...]

In relation to the roof; I took a tile (given to me by the roofing company) to the Planner's office.

The documentation - if you can call it that - was scratched onto the sample tile with a blunt chisel - the addressee, his department, together with my  details and handed it in to the receptionist at the LPA head office.

I had a nice time wondering how he might file the slate in his filing system. 

In relation to the windows, I submitted a brochure with the relevant  page marked with a Post It.

All very high tech.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

@Sjk I'm in the exact same situation then you are. I just phoned them up and asked where they want the samples-As i am in a conservation area as well, Planning Officer told me to keep samples on site for him to inspect. So I just left it with a neighbour there if the officer drops by on a short notice. Just 1 Piece of Roofing sheet(mine is standing seam metal -sample is just a 1mx0.5m sheet/ cladding sample is just a piece of Larch board ) Like @the_r_solesaid , companies will usuall send out samples if you for example need a window frame sample and a picture wont satisfy the Planners.

The Rest of the Planning Conditions I done myself and just handed in application for discharging them.

In regards to Technical Drawings - thats what I am trying to find out at the moment as well. Had some quotes from architects that seemed rather insane.

Same counts for Structural Engineers who is calculating the Drawings.

So I am keen on finding out some news about that too.

Edited by Patrick
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Patrick said:

In regards to Technical Drawings - thats what I am trying to find out at the moment as well. Had some quotes from architects that seemed rather insane.

I have just spoken to an architectural technician (who used to be the head of the technical department at a very well-known architectural practice) and his hourly fee is around £50, which I think seems quite reasonable. 

@janelondon that is quite ok, but it is more of a question how many hours he suggests for transfering average size Planning Drawings into Technical Drawings. Mine is a 150sqm rectangular box of a house.

My Last quote was around 90 hours to do so and with all respect, I probably can do it myself within this timeframe. Would expect a Professional to be a little bit faster throwing these together .

This might help, When ever I hear of something I don't know about I look it up , so when I heard of upwork on this site I duly got to work on Google. Long story short  its for freelance trades from around the world to offer their services. $6 an hour for an architect from the Philippines seems tempting :-). But more relevant was an architect technician who was  charging $25 from Surrey who was referencing a  riba practice that she freelanced for, may be a good way to get some drawings done without being fleeced. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd chime in - great responses by all by the way (only just registered on here). 

If you didn't want to use an Arch Tech (such as a CIAT member), there are websites that offer details for a few pound. One I know of is called "building regs 4 plans" (google it, as I'm not going to include a link). I've used them a few times and they're pretty good (only a few quid for details), but don't expect any non-standard details, you should be fine for roof/wall details, though nothing Passivhaus. I keep meaning to buy a few, but to be honest, I can draw them myself and have personal library of details and standard notation.

I do have experience of using remote places, language is still a barrier. £50 an hour is a fair charge for someone with 10+ years experience that's not an Architect.

Hope that helps a lil' bit!