Generator

K78

2 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

depends on size, i bought one from costco, has started fine. only problem was it wore through pullcord very quickly three times, i rotated pull position and has been fine since

I was looking at this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Böhler-AG-Petrol-Generator-3-8KVA-WX3800K/dp/B06W9DXZBX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537818534&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Generator&psc=1

It’s just for charging batteries and power tools on site. 

Edited by K78

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

depends on size, i bought one from costco, has started fine. only problem was it wore through pullcord very quickly three times, i rotated pull position and has been fine since

I’ve a couple of Honda genis that I use daily 

Pull cords are always snapping 

A place in Manchester Suplies the whole pull cord mechanism for £5 

Just bolt it on 

I always gave a couple of spare ones in the van

1 hour ago, nod said:

Just bolt it on 

Honda are no doubt the best but expensive. 

I’m thinking that Makita is a good option?

A5A35102-6AD1-4714-B06D-E98995F85FDF.png

Edited by K78

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Indeed. Multi hour running for battery charging is a strange usage profile. Also think about weight, that second example weighs 49kgs which is a lot store away each evening.

No doubt it will get used for a lot more than charging batteries. That is my primary concern at the moment though.

I’m going to need a generator onsite. The build will be mostly DIY with help from a few skilled friends. Light amongst other things will be a concern in a month or 2. 

49kg isn’t too heavy. If it goes in the back of a Volvo I’m good. 

2 minutes ago, K78 said:

49kg isn’t too heavy. If it goes in the back of a Volvo I’m good. 

My 13kg 900W Honda feels heavy at the end of a day onsite.

Have you considered getting mains power onsite earlier. Mine arrived last week before I got to Damp.

I've a £99 Lidl generator. Supposedly 1200W. Dunno but runs my 500 or 600 W sanders, etc, just fine. Haven't really kept track but probably done between 10 and 20 hours so far.

I've also got a 1200 1500W, 12V inverter which I run off my van batteries. That needs the van engine ticking over, though, which was fine when I just needed it for 10 minutes at a time to do some drilling (using a 230V drill in a drill stand) but didn't feel right when I was doing more extended sanding.

Edited by Ed Davies
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

My 13kg 900W Honda feels heavy at the end of a day onsite.

Have you considered getting mains power onsite earlier. Mine arrived last week before I got to Damp.

My site doesn’t lend itself well that. It’s large l shaped and split level with the house on the lower level. 

A 900w Honda is over £800.

Edited by K78

I would think twice about that bomher one, quick check online for parts are none existent (been there got the t-shirt with petrol strimmer with a very german sounding name)

Makita could be a good option and should hold its value as makita is a familiar brand.

Also have a look at pramac they use Honda engines and good Italian genneys, its what my local i independent plant rent & sale they are also a big makita agent. They are not a million miles away in price to what you are looking at.

We rigged our genny on to a little skateboard for pushing it around site and left the skate board next to where we parked the van.

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

I went the same route as @Ed Davies some years back. I've a 600W/1200W peak inverter that I can run off a car battery for light loads or the car idling for heavy work. I've also one of the Lidl inverter gennies (superb value) which replaced a B&Q 2-stroke which wasn't bad either for ten years...

Repairing these as I do and seeing then instore, I'd ignore the brand unless you have money to burn. Cheapies more often than not use Honda-clone 4-stroke or Yamaha-clone 2-stroke engines. Although i haven't yet worked out who designed the tiny 4-stroker in the Lidls one yet.

For really quiet everlasting suitcase inverters it's got the be the premium Japanese stuff or maybe a Kipor. For everything else? Chinesium.

Got a generic 2.3KW jobbie from Makro years ago. First time I ran it it was lumpy and the output was all over the place. Thought I must investigate why. Only bought it as we were having loads of power cuts. Then the power cuts stopped and I forgot all about it. Of late the power cuts have started to be a bit more frequent so I dug it out and figured I'd best sort the lumpy running. Capacitor duff.  Must have been like it from new. Need a another capacitor now for the DeWalt radial arm saw as I thieved that one! :)

21 hours ago, nod said:

Just bolt it on 

a hank of 5mm rope from b&q and a quick look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0KJuqsJJ_k i would aso look to rotate the starter so it doesn't rub as it pulls as this was the problem i had, now no wear

9 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

The same second hand little Honda generator has been running on the site next to mine for about 12 hours a day for the last three years. Very reliable.

Annoyingly reliable.

Yes Ian

and you will get back what you paid when you are done with it 

On 24/09/2018 at 22:44, K78 said:

My site doesn’t lend itself well that. It’s large l shaped and split level with the house on the lower level. 

Ok. There must be something specific to your site that tilts your requirement towards longer term dependency on a generator. I think most builders view the arrival of mains power onsite as one of those events that represent a significant step forward.

My pro self build neighbour experienced delays getting mains power on site and his heavy weight brickie team did not take their 2kw framed generator home each evening, it was left onsite hidden under a cover.

5 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ok. There must be something specific to your site that tilts your requirement towards longer term dependency on a generator. I think most builders view the arrival of mains power onsite as one of those events that represent a significant step forward.

My pro self build neighbour experienced delays getting mains power on site and his heavy weight brickie team did not take their 2kw framed generator home each evening, it was left onsite hidden under a cover.

I just bought a 300kg rated, folding platform trolley from Aldi for £35. The generator sits on it fine and it is easy enough to move. It all goes in the back of my xc60. 

I would rather get mains power once my house is watertight.

for £299 I’m happy with what I got. I love a bargain :)

Used Honda all my life, used to have them on jobs out in all weathers , used everyday all day, never serviced...... running chipping hammers on stone, hardly ever  had one brake down. They just keep on running.  Great bits of kit.