Dew point

9 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

hi @bissoejosh,

have you looked at the touchwood page? http://www.touchwoodhomes.co.uk/index.php/founI dation-systems

you don't say whether strip or slab. i'm working with a strip and an i beam on its side

I hadn't seen that page actually so many thanks. The section I'm struggling with is on beam & block due to level changes and a complex site. The solution on that page is quite similar to the golcar/denby dale solution for a masonry wall which we've done for our basement / lower GF. My current idea for a 245mm wall was a 215 block on the flat with EPS outside to flush with the sheathing board so approx 40mm. However this relied on the outer flange of the stud being mostly non load bearing as only 20mm is sat on block effectively. The insulated cavity option certainly looks like a possibility so I need to do some drawing and speak to our frame guys.

14 hours ago, bissoejosh said:

Sorry I realize this is an old post but I'm looking into the sole plate issue myself and came across this thread. We're going for an i-Beam frame as mentioned but currently our sole plate is drawn as a 245mm solid timber - was yours an i-beam laid on its side and if so did you insulated the web? Apologies If I've misunderstood!

Our I-beam frame has an I-beam as the sole plate. The web is strengthened with OSB3 both sides where it is bolted to the concrete slab. Holes were drilled in the web between the mounting points and the area underneath was filled with foam.

WSC00046.thumb.JPG.26cb1dd0ec6c549d90dd7817d851c4ca.JPG

On 10/23/2017 at 08:11, PeterStarck said:

Our I-beam frame has an I-beam as the sole plate. The web is strengthened with OSB3 both sides where it is bolted to the concrete slab. Holes were drilled in the web between the mounting points and the area underneath was filled with foam.

WSC00046.thumb.JPG.26cb1dd0ec6c549d90dd7817d851c4ca.JPG

Thanks for that - very useful. I'll see what our frame designers say...