Disabled access

nod

We had to do something a bit more ramp like as the incline was too great for a single gentle ramp. It doesn't look too bad now that there is gravel and plants however. It's been used a couple of times for deliveries but other than that no one has been here in a wheelchair in 8 years. 

1933569520_FrontSteps009.jpg.82a6bd14e94df5dd2bde98116c2024f7.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg.5f40c8fa76618dcdcb106eaead524d78.jpg

• Like 2

I didnt have a path or ramp installed, I had some concrete down ready for tiles but there was a gap of about 15-20mm from threshold to concrete on the day of sign off.  There was a 20mm step up to that concrete slab from drive base (just tarmac binder) on the day too as gap left for resin drive.  We got signed off ok like that.

I have level thresholds at all external doors/sliders and 33" wide doors at every doorway except the one to the plant room, I have no internal thresholds.  My whole house is designed to be wheelchair/disabled friendly and I sincerely hope I never have to use it in the way it has been designed...its a failsafe against the day that I have been told may come but fingers crossed.

@Ed Davies  I am  guessing you don't have any experience of using a wheelchair or difficulty with mobility or I am sure you would realise that a 30mm step could be quite difficult to manage and take away an element of independence for the user.

I am in complete agreement on Disability rules for buildings. My sister is a foster carer for disabled children and I see first hand how difficult life can be for her and them in buildings that do not cater for them in small but important ways. Currently she cannot visit certain people if she has a wheelchair child as access to the house is difficult or impossible.  New homes should be built to cater for all.  Sorry on my  hobby horse again...its an important thing for me and I feel strongly about it much like air polluting woodburners.

• Like 1

I contacted the B/Insp we have been using for our build over a new development in the village where we live. We had gone for a walk and noticed that all of the houses that had been built did not have level thresholds. I knew it would be something to do with the fact they are built on a slight hill and that is what he confirmed when we messaged him. The houses have parking spaces outside and from the moment you get out of the car you are pretty much on a level playing field to the houses so I find it really strange that they are not having to conform to the regs. Not sure what it is saying to a disabled person if they want to live on a slight incline.

You can apply to the council if the plot if the plot is considered too difficult to have a level threshold I believe so clearly that’s what they did and got away with it. Either that or the BI just turned a blind eye.