3D model render submitted in planning application?

Moonshine

I am in the middle of getting my ideas of how to develop a site for at least one extra dwelling. A pre-app has gone in  with only building footprints and site context (self drawn and submitted) and on the hope that there is a positive response I will look to a formal submission / engaging an architect or technician

The site has some interesting topo and to get my head around how to develop it best I have started to make a SketchUp model.

This model started off pretty simple but has actually got pretty detailed so much that so I think that it could help the planning authority at the application time.

Has anyone submitted a 3D render in the past or have any option if it would help or hinder an application?

Hi,

I think 3D render photos definitely help if the scheme needs a bit of imagination to visualize.

Years ago when we built our house we had 3D models of the house made up - more for our own benefit to tweak the plans. This worked well, but it was expensive (our architect contracted a UK company to do it and it ended up costing thousands of £).

I could have learned to do it myself with Sketchup, but that would have been a huge time sink and wasn't an option at the time.

Since then, I've discovered that there are much more cost effective ways to get 3D models built. You can employ a freelance professional from somewhere in the world who works on an hourly rate through various websites (I've used upwork.com). For a project recently I paid $15/hr to get a 3D model built, with rendered photos and a fully rendered video. It took about 10 hours of chargeable time so cost $150. pm me if you want a the contact details of the girl that did the work for me.

I found the process of using professionals through upwork.com surprisingly easy and effective. I sent the plans, and within a few hours had an initial draft model to play with. Then I could suggest tweaks and try different ideas and get a new model almost in real time.

- reddal

p.s. I have no links or interest in this service - just recommending an option I found surprisingly effective.

My formal drawings for planning were produced by the house designer in AutoCAD. Still, I included a 3D sketch (made in SketchUp) in the design statement (which I wrote and the house designer checked). Did it help or hinder? Don't know but the application was approved as quickly and as painlessly as these things can be so it can't have done too much harm.

SketchUp needs a bit of a learning effort but I've found it worthwhile. My first serious use was to “reverse engineer” the structural engineer's 2D drawings into 3D to make sure I really understood what was going on with some details. Building up the drawing (switching on layers) in the order it would actually be built helped with making sure there weren't any serious mistakes in my planned sequence as it would have been easy to snooker myself with some aspects of the roof/floor join (not being able to install some fixings if other bits had been put on first).

Since then I've used SketchUp a few times to work out dimensions of things working back from “as-built” dimensions and generally for get confidence that things measured one way will really line up with things built another.

• 7 months later...
On 25/09/2018 at 09:44, reddal said:

For a project recently I paid $15/hr to get a 3D model built, with rendered photos and a fully rendered video. It took about 10 hours of chargeable time so cost $150. pm me if you want a the contact details of the girl that did the work for me.

Hi @reddal - would you mind PM-ing me the details? May need some rendered photos for our planning application. thanks! 

22 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Too much information at formal application stage can harm your application - but can be very helpful at pre-app stage.

This is how it seems to have worked out with us, in the end I did my own 3D renders of the scheme at the pre-app stage to show the feasibility of the site and how it could work. I was very clear with the planning officer that they were indicative and one way of a few to develop the site, and subject to change. @the_r_sole (i must be think, i have only just got the username reference!) is correct, too much detail could cause issues (i went overboard on mine!).

During the pre-app on-site meeting (with the architect there) we were able to talk through the plans with renders to hand, and it helped the planning officer to visualise the site and they were pretty responsive with positive comments on the scheme, but they were clear that they needed more info in 2D, 2D is the planners formal language.

We got a positive written response from the pre-app, and the full application is to be submitted in 3-4 weeks, that will be the real test!

Edited by Moonshine