Built an annexe, now tackling a house

Chantal

Hi there all, due to the death of my dear Dad we needed to support Mum, and so built her a wood passive-principles place in 2016. I oversaw the build.

The main chalet bungalow (that I grew up in) is where we've been living for 2 years, alongside Mum in the garden. Its proved too poor in construction to remedy it, so that decision has been to rebuild. 3 years in the preparation, we're hoping to demolish in April.

We're looking at an economical build using Heluz blocks to ensure a passive- build. The economy of these will hopefully offset the huge cost of excavating and piling the sloping site to enable us to add a lower ground level, turning it to a house without looking different in the road. The pre-app has gone through smoothly, now to face the reality of living in a trailer tent, and funding the project.

Specifically I'm looking at Kingspan Standing Seam roof and MVHR unit again.

Looking forward to reading all your plans and thoughts!

Chantal

• Like 2

http://www.heluz.com/

They're a clay block, with insulation already inside. they dog tooth together, and then a glue rather than mortar is applied between layers. So having seen it done its pretty impressive, and my builder has built a 4 bed house ready for roof in 4 days with the system.  We like it for this reason plus its only 1 process to arrive at passive approach. I'll be looking at lots of other things like piling and metal roofing on here, its all new to me!

Edited by Chantal
  • Like 1