Intumescent paint for protecting beams

MJNewton

My single-storey extension has got a pair of steel beams over the knockthrough but they are recessed to facilitate a level ceiling throughout. I am now pondering what the best way to fireproof them is.

My options identified so far are 1) two layers of plasterboard (can one of these be the ceiling itself?), 2) one layer of fireboard, or 3) intumescent paint. I am leaning towards the latter as there is limited clearance and space for affixing suitable noggins and the boards themselves.

Does anyone have any comments/recommendations regarding the paint? I am assuming given the red oxide primer it should be just a case of applying it to all exposed surfaces and that's that?

20180814_172440.jpg

Edited by MJNewton

14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you have done your sums right for £20 I would just paint it

but to be honest I don’t believe it

if it was that cheap everyone would paint them, and very few do. 

Also, wtf is a coat of paint going to actually do in a fire? Heat will twist the steel into knots, paint or not, and by the time you’re going to be asking that question you’ll be rebuilding the house anyway so just whack the paint on, enjoy the 30mins ‘get out safe’ time the PB and plaster will afford you and move on with that option if BCO is ok with it ;) 

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Also, wtf is a coat of paint going to actually do in a fire?

Intumescent paint expands in a fire and forms a protective layer over the steel that insulated the steel from the heat & flame.

27 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you have done your sums right for £20 I would just paint it

but to be honest I don’t believe it

if it was that cheap everyone would paint them, and very few do. 

If 4.2m is my length I've got roughly 0.7m width of exposed surfaces so that's ~3m². A litre of Envirograf EP/FS/INT should cover 10m².

All said and done though I think I'm leaning more towards the boarding now if I can get it sorted without too much of a headache. It feels a bit more predictable in its performance, as is often the case with more conventional methods.

19 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

It's already primered so I think it can go straight on.

It's not really a cost issue; more what was going to be easiest in this particular situation.

So how are you expecting to finish it or is the plan to leave exposed ..?  I’m confused ..!

And those products need their own primer if it’s been painted with something else first. It’s in the MIs

45 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So how are you expecting to finish it or is the plan to leave exposed ..?  I’m confused ..!

The beams are recessed and contained entirely within the ceiling void.

And those products need their own primer if it’s been painted with something else first. It’s in the MIs

It was this from the Application Instructions that made me think otherwise:

If a primer has already been applied and is sound, then there is no need to apply Envirograf® primer.

Edited by MJNewton

4 hours ago, MJNewton said:

It's how I attach the fireline that could be the challenge as I am assuming it cannot be stuck in place with adhesive?

Shot fire some top hat metal or a length of cieling track and over board the whole cieling Returning the fire check up the face of the beam