ICF bracing

Russell griffiths

G,day 

would there be anybody out there who will be doing an icf build and require bracing 

im afraid the hire cost has scared the c##p out of me so I’m thinking of buying my own to sell on afterwards

another lad on here has shown an interest, so I was wondering if there could be a third interested party to keep the cost down for everyone 

the product we are looking at is called. Zont bracing, made by a Canadian company. 

Let us know. 

Cheers russ. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

im afraid the hire cost has scared the c##p out of me so I’m thinking of buying my own to sell on afterwards

[...]

You'll be aware of our little hiccup with a system that, ostensibly, didn't need bracing. And maybe Durisol doesn't - but it sure as Hell does if one of the people installing it has a criminal lack of care. Got the video.

So, we had to make our own shuttering. Like this....

20170821_145248.thumb.jpg.e821a01ced272ed036fb5cfb51b1fdb3.jpg

The photo shows the boarding on left ready for the second pour and the exposed wall just before being boarded (blue writing). We used  3 by 3 timbers and sheets of 22mm supported by through bolts - M12 , nuts, washers and bolts. Any scaffold planks we could scrounge were also pressed into service.

Part of the issue to be considered will be the amount poured in any one session. We didn't pour more than 4 meters in one go. That is two sheets of OSB stacked vertically.

In terms of cost, I have re-used almost all of the timber and  sheeting, but not the threaded bar. 

Given lemons, we appear to have made some lemonade. By accident, not design

29 minutes ago, willbish said:

Hi @Russell griffiths, potentially I could be interested.

My quoted hire charges are also significant, I will have to check with Logix that they would be happy for an alternative bracing system to be used. But yes could be a goer.

Not being rude, but what has it got to do with logix who’s bracing you use ?

if it’s anything like nudura they will say it’s crap and you must hire theirs

What sort of price have they quoted you. 

Location wise you would be a perfect partner @willbish what stage are you at I’m looking at needing braces towards the end of October. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Its my first time using ICF and the support of Logix is something I value. They will be on site for the first concrete pour. 

That said the zont system looks up to the job and might even be superior for my build.

Ive been quoted hire of £6 per unit per week (maxed after 4 weeks) and need 62. Gulp!

Timescale is tricky, I’m pouring my slab first week of October, then I’m waiting on finances and 6-8 week lead time on the Logix, it’s likely I could follow you and would need at the end of the year.

I have already used zont bracing on 1st build. Was pretty happy with it. We have reused all the wood. We did have a few problems Inc how did we get fixings into the concrete without hitting UFH pipes which would could also be be a problem with steel bracing. 

Well this all looks like it could come together 

i would be happy to purchase them first, and use them around November time, @willbish comes over to Cirencester to have a look at them in use, I finish up and will comes over to collect them, he then uses them in December ,January and packs them up to send on to @Alexphd1  

i love it when a plan comes together 

doing some rough figures in my head I think we could all save a grand on the hire costs. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

We did have a few problems

Be good to hear all about these.

9 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

fixings into the concrete without hitting UFH pipes which would could also be be a problem with steel bracing

I'm leaving 75mm around the perimeter which will be clear of UFH pipes to fix down into the slab.

So @Russell griffiths how many zont units are you looking at and what's the price?

Are you thinking that you would buy the lot. I give you 2/3rds purchase price on collection, @Alexphd1 then gives me 1/3rd purchase price when its his turn?

After that @Alexphd1 could sell the lot and we split what's left 3 ways. Or we could donate to the Buildhub tool library! You never know you might need them again for your next project?

Looking at the units I'd imagine the life expectancy isnt as long as their heavier steel cousins

Life expectancy is pretty good. Only thing that broke was the plastic cam for locking the cross timber this would have been through bad handling. We already had up scaffolding on the outside so didn't really use the catwalk. Our bracing was up a couple of months so would maybe paint the wood for uv also gives it a cover protection from excess concrete. I don't think it's a standard wood size but it's a cls easily to get a hold of.

I was thinking of getting 100 zonts and 50 zuckles, to make up 50 braces. 

As regards fixing to the floor I had thought of first fixing down a scaffold board using a fixing that only penetrates 40 mm into the slab and then fixing braces to that, just to lesson the amount of fixings going into the slab. 

As I have decided on block n  beam floor I don’t have the problem with ufh any more as it will get installed later. 

12 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Life expectancy is pretty good.

Thats good to hear. Should last at least 3 builds then.

Using our own timber or passing that on too? I have a fairly reliable source of used stock from a commercial site hoarding company.

One standard gable here.

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

100 zonts and 50 zuckles, to make up 50 braces

?Good, not interested in the catwalk brackets

I would just buy your own timber, Easier to ship zonts only.

I found the easiest/quickest way for putting up ICF was using builders trustles, i bought 6 but need a very smooth even surface.

The top of the gable to the bottom of the pour was approx 6m which was in my opinion the zonts where at there limit. 

• 4 months later...

@Russell griffiths - just had to search to find this thread.  I know that you have bought the scaffolding and are planning to sell on once you have finished your build.  Did you end up buying the bracing as well - Peter and I just can't remember what you said when we were on site.  If so, was the bracing the one you were talking about above (zonts and zuckles) and have did you all go ahead with the agreement to sell on to each other for a 3 way split of the costs?