Building (heating/Domestic Hot Water) management system

Tyke2

I have been reading loads of threads regarding everyone's multi faceted heating / hot water systems.

One thing I haven't really seen, despite looking, is a common thread on how the systems are managed.

If you have UFH, Sunamp, PV, ASHP,MHVR etc. how are these managed together?

Are there proven Building Management Systems for domestic use? or is it more keep tweaking until they are balanced? and rebalance each seasonal change?

I know in commercial buildings that BMS is common place, and that designing and setting these up is an expensive and complicated matter.

I have UFH. MVHR. ASHP And believe they will manage themselves. The UFH will be set by room stat to achieve a set temp. The MVHR once set up will not need altering (apart from internal RH sensor to go to boost when bathrooms are used or cooking in kitchen).  The ASHP is set to deliver set temp water for either UFH buffer tank or DHW tank. With a well insulated heavy house I think it’s best to keep it at a set temp. The only difference may be if we go to either E7 or E10 we heat at cheap rate so the house may cool a little between heating times. I believe we need to live in the property for a year before we can decide.

MVHR stays on all the time. I have a boost switch (on a timer) for showering or cooking. Some have humidistats for automatic control.

UFH just like any other heating system I control from standard boiler time clock and room thermostats, so automatic.   Same for heating DHW (all comes from and ASHP)

PV you would have an automatic diverter that sends any excess generated PV to the sun amp.

It is all pretty much automatic once set up, and not really "centralised" each bit looks after itself.  Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

PV manages itself - they are self contained. The solar diverters tend to manage at export level so again are independent. 

MVHR tends to be self contained too - they have a controller of varying levels of sophistication. Some such as the Mitsubishi units have integration options into the M-Bus architecture but it’s not really relevant. 

The last are really the UFH/DHW and Boiler or ASHP. Most of this is standard controls. 

You can integrate this lot but it begs the question why..? Some people have got Loxane or sensor based systems but others have just gone with the manufacturers controls and simple standard time switches and programmable thermostats

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You can integrate this lot but it begs the question why..? Some people have got Loxane or sensor based systems but others have just gone with the manufacturers controls and simple standard time switches and programmable thermostats

Simple the better!

• Like 1