Pruning a tree which has a TPO on it

Pete

Has anybody any idea how much it costs gets to get permission from the local authority to prune a tree which has a TPO on it. I would do it undercover of darkness :ph34r: but the tree is in the neighbour's garden and he is watching me like a hawk!!

I like your style?? 

After a few bottles of ?? we decided to take a TPO area tree down the following day (technically we where in the rite) but to say the poop hit the fan was a understatement... after a month or two and a few investigation by various authorities we where found to have done nothing wrong. If we asked before it and didn't get the answer we wanted we would have been up poop creek with no paddle making the site useless. 

Just for the record I would never advise doing anything to any woodland/trees covered by a TPO  without proper approval.

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

but the tree is in the neighbour's garden

Ah, not so easy. 

Protected trees include those covered by a tree preservation order (TPO) or those which grow in a conservation area. You will need to contact the LPA even if you wish to prune branches overhanging from a neighbour's protected treeYou should send one copy of the completed form to your LPA.

what if you had a bonfire and singed the tree a little by accident ?

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

£45 round here unless its under the DDD rules (Dead, Diseased, Dangerous) where you can give 48 hours notice and JFDI...

Why do you want it pruning...?

Because it is quite a large Yew tree that is expanding towards our new home. It has recently been rendered (house, not the tree) and I do not want it making the render go green over time. It will look a lot better with a prune as well. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Because it is quite a large Yew tree that is expanding towards our new home. It has recently been rendered (house, not the tree) and I do not want it making the render go green over time. It will look a lot better with a prune as well. 

Is it spreading at the base or just getting too tall..? Yew isn't easy to prune well as evergreen trees don't respond well unless you take them back to the main stems carefully.

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you had a chat with the neighbours, it would probably look better being done all around instead of one side, offering to contribute to the cost very often gets a good result

The neighbour is selling the house with the Yew in and at the moment the tree is providing a screen from our new build which he did not really like, hence why he is watching like a hawk.