JUB - ICF build

We've decided to use the JUB ICF block system for our build, it's looking as though it's going to be the first build using the system in the UK.

The JUB ICF approach is a little different from most of its competitors in so far as there is no block cutting done on site. This was a major factor in our choice as it should eliminate opening size errors and also the need to infill when cuts are not quite as perfect as they should be. The down side is that it makes the drawing up of plans an iterative process. Our architect is in the process of amending our plans to reflect the JUB ICF wall thickness of 390mm once this is done the plans will get optimized by JUB. The structural calculations will then get done which may result in further changes before we can get a set of plans for building controls.

JUB also offer raft and roof solutions. The raft system has a quoted U value of 0.2w/m2K and is quite expensive compared to say "raft therm" from Castle Forms which has a U value of 0.1w/m2K. The JUB roof system looks good with a U value of 0.09w/m2K, again it's relatively costly and we have not decided to go this route or a cheaper more conventional rafter and spray foam option.

JUB also do rendering, which appears to be there main business in the UK. The render system and ICF systems have been tested together and is covered by a single warranty. Hopefully not a feature we will need to call on.

Being a first will no doubt result in a few issues along the way but it looks as though JUB are keen to get a build under way and will provide support.

I've attached the plans for which we have planning permission, these have already changed a little to provide greater strength in the north east corner which has a big glazing area.

I'll update this thread as we progress.

Build plans JUB-ICF.pdf

Edited by Simon R
add anonymised plan
  • Like 1

Fair play to you for being brave and going this route. Somebody has to be the first!!!

I hope your getting a very good discount to balance out the risk of problems that will surely arise.

This is definitely a build that you need to document well in a blog with lots of pics and show how you get on warts and all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Fair play to you for being brave and going this route. Somebody has to be the first!!!

I hope your getting a very good discount to balance out the risk of problems that will surely arise.

This is definitely a build that you need to document well in a blog with lots of pics and show how you get on warts and all.

Indeed, hope we don't live to regret it! always referred to it as the "bleeding edge" in software, I should have learnt by now.

No discount on offer, perhaps I've not tried hard enough, I'm told there's no margin?

What I do hope we will get it's lots of support.

And yes, should be lots of additions to this topic as we progress.

It's better and much easier to follow some ones progress with a blog as topics here wander many miles of point very quickly and detail gets lost. 

So you aren't getting any discount from being the guinea pig?? 

How much hand holding will JUB be doing through out the build or is it you/pm  in charge ??

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

It's better and much easier to follow some ones progress with a blog as topics here wander many miles of point very quickly and detail gets lost. 

So you aren't getting any discount from being the guinea pig?? 

How much hand holding will JUB be doing through out the build or is it you/pm  in charge ??

Point taken, despite my background I'm a bit of  luddite when it comes to social media..despite my reservations I'll look at doing a blog.

Tried several times to get a discount, as you say there should be some benefit to being a guinea pig.

Not sure how much hand holding we'll get and it's me doing the PM... lets see now, first build using the bricks, first self build...what could possibly go wrong.

+1 for a blog. 

I have had a quick look at the jub site and one of the things I liked was the eps was a thicker on the standard block  compaged to industry standard which would hopefully give it more strength during pour. 

I will be honest one of the biggest advantages of ICF is how adaptable on site for change of plans (unlike a timber kit) we changed dimensions (between ordering the blocks and starting the insulated slab) and changed windows Inc adding more when the icf is being put up. Any excess icf blocks from window openings etc is used elsewhere in the build so very little if any wastage. Also if you don't cut blocks on site your foundations has to be mm perfect. 

I think if you are doing the build yourself have a look at @Triassic insulated raft for best m2 cost. We will probably copy this on next build. 

You do the blog here. 

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/blogs/

Have a look at the various examples already here. It's nothing complicated just pics and a description of what was going on. Everyone is nosey esp on here and with yours being a first even more so.

Lots can go wrong with bricks and blocks and they have been used for years. Shat happens on every build.

Do you get a timescale of what they expect from you. As in we can deliver your blocks by x date if you have the founds ready to go and then various dates that have to be met to keep the build on schedule for you to finish in 12/18 months.

1 hour ago, Simon R said:

Point taken, despite my background I'm a bit of  luddite when it comes to social media..despite my reservations I'll look at doing a blog.

The good thing is that this isn’t ‘social media’, its a small niche in the vast world of the internet. Also we do tend to look out for each other, hence my comment about names and addres on your plans. A blog is a great idea, you can keep it a simple as you like, it’s also a great aid memoir of photos and text for future reference.  

4 hours ago, Simon R said:

Being a first will no doubt result in a few issues along the way but it looks as though JUB are keen to get a build under way and will provide support.

We were the first Isoquick insulated raft foundation installed in the UK and indeed we did have some issues, although no fault of Isoquick. The gory detail is in my blog.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

The good thing is that this isn’t ‘social media’, its a small niche in the vast world of the internet. Also we do tend to look out for each other, hence my comment about names and addres on your plans. A blog is a great idea, you can keep it a simple as you like, it’s also a great aid memoir of photos and text for future reference.  

+1. We set up a blog (pre this forum) about our build. Got bored during second fix and other things happened so I stopped updating it. A few years down the line it’s very useful to me still. Wish I had put more effort into writing more detail and taking more photos as they would be helpful to me now. 

18 hours ago, Declan52 said:

You do the blog here. 

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/blogs/

Have a look at the various examples already here. It's nothing complicated just pics and a description of what was going on. Everyone is nosey esp on here and with yours being a first even more so.

Lots can go wrong with bricks and blocks and they have been used for years. Shat happens on every build.

Do you get a timescale of what they expect from you. As in we can deliver your blocks by x date if you have the founds ready to go and then various dates that have to be met to keep the build on schedule for you to finish in 12/18 months. 

Regarding time scales, we are still getting the plans sorted, but I'll add it to the work that needs to be done so I don't forget....the list is getting somewhat interesting...

15 hours ago, Triassic said:

You could also go for a detailed blog such as the one written by Paul, https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

He lives off grid and details every aspect of living off grid. His blog is one of those go to blogs.

Thanks I'll take a look. We're only off grid while on our boat but it does change the way you live and think about energy. We're still looking at the battery store options we have and think we should be able to survive on 5kwh, but would prefer to double that. I'll read the blog you pointed me to and see what solution they have found works for them.