New series of Grand Designs

ProDave

1 hour ago, Jude1234 said:

I have found out that my builder has been AWOL as he is involved in a build for Grand Designs?

I pressed the 'laugh' emoticon - then the 'sad' one and then the 'laugh' one.

Could really do with an 'empathy but you have to laugh (or else you would cry)' emoticon but I'm not sure what that would look like. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Also starting tonight on More 4 is a new series of "impossible house"  Tonights one looks interesting, on a remote cliff in W Scotland at the end of an 8 mile drive.

I will be watching it tomorrow so no spoilers please.

Guessing it'll end on a cliffhanger...

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Also starting tonight on More 4 is a new series of "impossible house"  Tonights one looks interesting, on a remote cliff in W Scotland at the end of an 8 mile drive.

I will be watching it tomorrow so no spoilers please.

I'm watching it now, the timber kit company Carbon Dynamic is in my home town of Invergordon.

I hope my timberframe company have more accuracy with their nails!!!!!

7 hours ago, ultramods said:

I'm watching it now, the timber kit company Carbon Dynamic is in my home town of Invergordon.

I hope my timberframe company have more accuracy with their nails!!!!!

I said no spoilers.

I know that company well and have mentioned them several times on here.

3 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Carbon Dynamic? Were they CarbonLite in a past life or something? Matt S?

That's them. I don't know why the change of name.  Like just about every tradesman in the area, I did some work for them in the past, wired about 8 or 9 of their houses.  I was offered a full time post but didn't want to give up the flexibility of self employment.

There are a few business called CarbonLite around the world. Probably not a direct trademark issue but maybe difficult with search engines and the like.

Talked to them very early on in my project development (when I was still looking at another site) about them doing a large bit of my house. Got on well and quite interested both ways but I wasn't sure about the cost of their method of construction. Went back to them later, when I was struggling a bit with the post and beam stuff, to see if they were interested in making me a kit but they were very busy with a large project by then.

Just watched the Carbonlite impossible build.

What can I say other than "welcome to my world"

Everything was so familliar. the location, the landscape, the company and people that built it, some of the build process and materials used.  Matt is an incredable guy, not only the brains and boss of the company, but a hands on guy present at most site assembly periods. And he lives a mile from me.

Interesting that the build company , it's name and location is so prominent in the program.  Most of these programs seem to want to hide the name of the builder or arcuitect.  I wonder which way money changed hands to facilitate that?

In case some of you have not made the connection, we talked to Carbonlite about building our house, but being a more conventional 2 storey house they could not see a way to fit in with their modular build, so they proposed a compromise that they design and detail it and employ some of there techniques (e.g the wood fibre board etc) but it would be built as more of a conventional timber frame kit house by a local firm of builders who have worked with them before (and as it happens I have worked for so I knew them)

The other thing that stood out though is what I have said about our build and am working damned hard to avoid. At £65K for the plot, and £350K build cost, they have a house that has cost them way more than the market value of a 2 bedroom house in this part of the world, even with the stunning location and view (the 50 mile trip to get to a shop, lack of broadband etc is not so stunning)

And the sad ending. If I read it right at the end, no sooner was his house finished, and the poor bugger fell off his perch.

17 hours ago, ProDave said:

And the sad ending. If I read it right at the end, no sooner was his house finished, and the poor bugger fell off his perch.

It was Charlie's co-presenter, the designer Aidan Keane, who passed away, not the house owner.