readiescards

VAT claim - my acknowledgement letter response time

For any interested parties:

Posted claim: August 21 2018

Received acknowledgement: Sept 19  (letter dated 14th Sept)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Claim approved letter and all receipts received back today - 30th October.

All approved (apart from one receipt I mistakenly included)  - using @JSHarris spreadsheet 🙂 

• Like 1

Wow that’s really good going. They seem to have speeded up! 

17 hours ago, readiescards said:

Claim approved letter and all receipts received back today - 30th October.

All approved (apart from one receipt I mistakenly included)  - using @JSHarris spreadsheet 🙂 

Thats amazing mine went in 20 July but other than acknowledgement about 8 Aug Ive heard nothing.

Are their different offices for different parts of the country?

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Thats amazing mine went in 20 July but other than acknowledgement about 8 Aug Ive heard nothing.

Are their different offices for different parts of the country?

Nope, the same for everyone. I’m amazed @readiescards‘ was so fast too. 

• Like 1

I think there are different teams in the office though, that deal with different groups of applications.  There was a clue in a letter I had back from them when they rejected our initial application and sent all the receipts back unread, as they had a query about the planning permission detail.  IIRC I think the teams may be broken up into groups of surname initials.  Might explain why some seem to be getting a faster response than others.

• Thanks 1

I’m an S and it took 20 weeks. I think @PeterStarck‘s was about the same. 

Just now, newhome said:

I wish I'd kept the letter I got from them now, as I remember there being a team reference on it that looked as if it was a group of initials, something like G-K IIRC.

24 minutes ago, newhome said:

I'm a B ........4 Aug was my acknowledgement letter.

Note my claim was for only £7500 and consisting of less than 300 A4 sheets - so probably easy for HMRC to deal with

2 hours ago, readiescards said:

Note my claim was for only £7500 and consisting of less than 300 A4 sheets - so probably easy for HMRC to deal with

Mine was a lot bigger so maybe that is why it is taking longer. Glad you got yours quickly.

• Like 1

And vat refund cash in the back 7th November, 8 days after letter revenues 🙂

• Like 2

On 31/10/2018 at 15:28, JSHarris said:

I think there are different teams in the office though, that deal with different groups of applications.  There was a clue in a letter I had back from them when they rejected our initial application and sent all the receipts back unread, as they had a query about the planning permission detail.  IIRC I think the teams may be broken up into groups of surname initials.  Might explain why some seem to be getting a faster response than others.

Can I ask what was the query about? We have 3 houses to build/ convert. One is a conversion but we never submitted plans under the planning application (long story/ even I'm not sure what happened) but its approved. I'm not worried about how they will deal with the VAT reclaim especially if we don't go down the full plans route for building regulations. 

Just now, zoe61 said:

Can I ask what was the query about? We have 3 houses to build/ convert. One is a conversion but we never submitted plans under the planning application (long story/ even I'm not sure what happened) but its approved. I'm not worried about how they will deal with the VAT reclaim especially if we don't go down the full plans route for building regulations. 

Unless all three are for you or immediate family members to live in, you will be classed as a developer so won’t be able to use the self build VAT reclaim process.

You probably need to sort that now before you end up with a hefty VAT reclaim that you can’t actually claim. 

5 minutes ago, zoe61 said:

There was a small change in the plans between those we originally had approved and those that were approved by a minor amendment later.  We had originally been required to provide a bicycle storage shed (under the old Code for Sustainable Homes requirements) but this then changed when the CfSH regulations were axed, so we didn't build the bike shed.  HMRC queried why there were no receipts for the bike shed.

As @PeterW says it’s best to get the VAT eligibility clarified very soon. Only certain conversions qualify for the reclaim scheme, plus the majority of new builds as long as they don’t have any conditions tying them to a business or preventing separate disposal (for example). The big condition as Peter mentions is that the house(s) must be for you or your family to live in. 

All 3 are for family so Vat reclaim should be fine. I was just concerned over the one with it not having any plans and how the reclaim people will deal with this is they are noticing small things like to receipts for a bike shed. 

Conversions are only zero rated if they meet some strict criteria. Have you confirmed what you are doing meets them..?

All three houses will have to be built/re-built by three different owners, I believe, in order for the self-build VAT reclaim scheme to apply, which means that each of the three family members will have to be individually named on the three sets of approved plans, as well as all receipts for each property being in the name of that property owner.  The latter point may cause problems if the intention is to share building materials across the three builds, as I'm near-certain that this won't be eligible for a VAT reclaim; each separate dwelling will have to have everything in the name of the owner, I'm sure.

If you already have planning permission for the three, then it's worth making sure that each dwelling's planning permission and approved plans lists the name of that dwelling's owner.

59 minutes ago, zoe61 said:

All 3 are for family so Vat reclaim should be fine. I was just concerned over the one with it not having any plans and how the reclaim people will deal with this is they are noticing small things like to receipts for a bike shed. 

You will need to send the planning permission and approved plans. The claim is not valid without this. Here are the details that relate to the planning permission 

00C1A641-B234-467A-AC65-EB6C3CE495E7.thumb.png.b7bebdb9b5336a22f4923de87d3021a7.png

and the note about the approved plans is in section 15 of the notes. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/487894/VAT431NB_form_and_notes.pdf

32 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

All three houses will have to be built/re-built by three different owners, I believe,

It’s not clear whether that’s a requirement as the notes say that you can build a house for a relative to live in a la @AliG but might be worth asking HMRC the question. 

Thanks, planning permission was all in same persons name. Building regs application will be in individual names of the people owning the property,  as will receipts as the works will not be taking place at the same time, but each owner will start the next one once the previous one is completed and signed off.  In terms of the criteria to quickly summarize it was not previously a residential property (sheep shed), and we intend to use it as our family home so I think we are all clear.

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

It’s not clear whether that’s a requirement as the notes say that you can build a house for a relative to live in a la @AliG but might be worth asking HMRC the question. 

Definitely worth asking the question, I think, as three houses being built/converted for family seems almost certain to raise a red flag with HMRC, IMHO, especially as the PP for all three is in one name. 

41 minutes ago, zoe61 said:

In terms of the criteria to quickly summarize it was not previously a residential property (sheep shed), and we intend to use it as our family home so I think we are all clear.

As long as the PP doesn’t have any restrictive conditions attached then hopefully you meet the criteria. 

When I sent my claim in I received a letter back asking about the PP as it covered 2 properties (the other plot wasn’t owned by me) so it’s probably worth sending a covering letter explaining the plans for the 3 properties as it will save HMRC asking this anyway.