Knees.....

My knees are well and truly done for.  I have been working on the floors for the past week and it has really done me in. I try never to kneel, always squat but it doesn't help much after a while.  They have been getting worse and worse over the years. I saw a lot of you all complaining about your knees and I wondered if anyone had any ideas about what I could do that might help.  Knee pads make them 100x worse for some reason.  Sometimes I put arnica cream on them which helps a bit but its more of a sticking plaster than a cure.  Anyone recommend any exercise or diet type remedies?  I take glucosamine already too.

Edited by Square Feet

Guest Alphonsox

My solution to this was to hire someone else to do the kneeling for me. I've got a very knackered knee thanks to a run in with a Swiss mountain a couple of decades ago. My thoughts are  that I can always earn more money but I can't regrow my knees. No flooring is worth permanent damage to your body.

Nothing helps mine (just one is fecked). In  desperation I tried every quack remedy under the sun but nothing works and the arthroscopy seemed to make it worse. I had a ton of physio but they can only help strengthen around the knee to hold things together better but it can’t fix the knee. I can kneel on one knee sort of. If I try to kneel on the bad one it doesn’t end well. I’m with @Alphonsox in that all you can do is protect it. Making it worse by kneeling on it is not a good plan either short or long term. 

I'll see your knee, and raise you a hip.

I find myself working out in advance how to get myself up using my arms before I commit to kneeling. I can't moan: I have had forty or so  years of cross country and fell running out of them. 

Wasn't it the dear departed Terry Wogan who popularised the TOG saying:  ' Never without pain ' ?

Oh how I laughed - then.

I had an ACL graft last December, 25 years after a skiing injury that finally caught up with me. The physio has been hard work and so I bought an Aircast ice pack system that wraps around the knee. It compresses and ices the joint and is incredibly good for reducing inflammation without needing drugs. It's not cheap, coming in at around £120 for the whole thing but it's worth it if you have a longer term need.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that since starting the self build,  pretty much everything aches, and realised that it's a shame that by the time most of us can afford to self build, the 20-30 year old body which would have been ideal for it is well beyond that sell by age and a bit knackered ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a physio review yesterday and was measured on a few strength tests.  Despite not having got to the gym much since my last review due to a frantically busy period on the build, I aced a couple of the tests and this is purely down to shinning up and down scaffolding ladders and temporary staircases for much of the time I was on site, so self-building isn't all bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

I had a MET test and was in super athletes category! 15.9 I think 

Get in there !

If there was anyone going to blow their own trumpet...

Scored highly for flexibility too no doubt...

Edited by Onoff

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If there was anyone going to blow their own trumpet...

Scored highly for flexibility too no doubt...

Actually no !

i have been told that I was one of the least flexible people he had ever met . It causes me issues with running ( torn calve , plantar fasciitis) , karate ( 13 year old can kick me in the head , I can take his knee out ) .

Trying to get the operation where they cut your calves in half - so they are longer !!