Big gurgles

Pocster

Hey all

Got a 1st floor flat where suddenly flushing the toilet causes massive gurgles back up the bath . Chucked an entire bucket full of water down toilet - went down pretty quick ( so not blocked ???? ) - bath gurgles like a child being throttled .

Blockage or vacuum issue ?

cheers 

Just now, pocster said:

Hey all

Got a 1st floor flat where suddenly flushing the toilet causes massive gurgles back up the bath . Chucked an entire bucket full of water down toilet - went down pretty quick ( so not blocked ???? ) - bath gurgles like a child being throttled .

Blockage or vacuum issue ?

cheers 

Ah bum !

sysop please move to correct forum ! Fool me !?

Gurgles are caused by a blockage of the vent, so the lump of water flowing down the drain creates a vacuum. Normally the vent allows air in, but if the vent is blocked it will suck air in through one of the traps.

I assume there is another flat above you?  THEY might have a blockage that as well as blocking their flow, has stopped the stack venting?

More information if you can please.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Gurgles are caused by a blockage of the vent, so the lump of water flowing down the drain creates a vacuum. Normally the vent allows air in, but if the vent is blocked it will suck air in through one of the traps.

I assume there is another flat above you?  THEY might have a blockage that as well as blocking their flow, has stopped the stack venting?

More information if you can please.

Hey

No just 2 flats. So the vertical soil stack goes up into the 1st floor flat then into the loft space (no idea what's ontop of it) - the hatch is tiny; I can't fit in it!

I've googled an "anti vac trap" on the basin might work.....

Ground floor flat (which I don't own) appears to have no issues so I've been *told* (not witnessed)

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hey

No just 2 flats. So the vertical soil stack goes up into the 1st floor flat then into the loft space (no idea what's ontop of it) - the hatch is tiny; I can't fit in it!

I've googled an "anti vac trap" on the basin might work.....

Ground floor flat (which I don't own) appears to have no issues so I've been *told* (not witnessed)

If the fault had just started occurring then you have an issue to deal with. Find what’s caused the problem or wait for it to get much worse. 

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

If the fault had just started occurring then you have an issue to deal with. Find what’s caused the problem or wait for it to get much worse. 

It's tricky. As I have no access to any drains; all in ground floor flat. Those tenants aren't particularly co-operative. I could fit an anti vac anyway?????

Dropping an entire floor in small bore waste pipe is a no-no afaic. Major issues with siphon effect so I avoid at all costs. Norm would be to run horizontally to a snow box and use that as an air break. Not possible if you have to get grey water to the FW network but fine for combined sewers. 

Strap on or boss socket into the 110mm every day of the week for me and I’ve been doing this for nearly two and a half decades. 

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can you get a drainage company out on the insurance. ?

Not on insurance.

Assuming ground floor permits me access I could just get it jetted anyway ?

But as I don't know if there is a blockage more tempted to fit the anti vac first. I'm not too worried if it is blocked/blocking as ground floor will experience any ?first!

Edited by pocster

39 minutes ago, pocster said:

It's tricky. As I have no access to any drains; all in ground floor flat.

But, as ProDave says above, the blockage is likely above your toilet.

Can you see the top of the soil pipe outside the building (on the roof)?

Just now, Ed Davies said:

But, as ProDave says above, the blockage is likely above your toilet.

Can you see the top of the soil pipe outside the building (on the roof)?

Oh I see !

not sure how it got blocked then !

No nothing coming out the roof - so no idea where it runs .

Hang on, I can see how this might happen, suppose the blockage above you has always been there but not apparent - always somewhat restricted. Now however there is a blockage below you that used to be open to the atmosphere so flow, once past this new failure point, sucks the traps above it. IS there a delay before the gurgling starts.

Just now, MikeSharp01 said:

Hang on, I can see how this might happen, suppose the blockage above you has always been there but not apparent - always somewhat restricted. Now however there is a blockage below you that used to be open to the atmosphere so flow, once past this new failure point, sucks the traps above it. IS there a delay before the gurgling starts.

Yes a bit of a delay . Pour bucket down toilet ; 2 seconds later gurgle