Big gurgles

Pocster

25 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

[...]

Norm would be to run horizontally to a snow box

[...]

We find our players at deserted house in the middle of the Elan Valley (of Offa's Dyke fame)

Dramatis Personae:

NFW

Harsh task master, stickler for detail, permanently runny nose, and 3/4" spanner duct taped to his left wrist, roll of plumber's tape inserted  in  his his ear lobe, wearing an olive on each finger. Some say they were put there when he was 15  by his Apprentice Master : NFW seems to be carrying on in the same tradition.....

Apprentice

Rumored to be a descendant of Offa himself,  is building himself a reputation for truculence. Refusing to take anything NFW says at face value, he is digging in for the long haul. NFW has tried often - without success - to brand him as 'his' by getting him drunk and forcing-fitting copper olives over his toes. There are now so many on each toe, the apprentice can hardly walk. The apprentice seems not to have noticed. The practice of force-fitting olives over toes is widespread in the Valleys.

NFW

Oi! Boyo, see that snow box  by there mun ? Its blocked. Well it needs a bucket o' steam to mek it work, like. Flush it out like. Yew need to go Screweys to fetch a bucketo steem luk.....

Apprentice

Noooo. Gerrit yerself mun.

NFW:  Well we'll put the kettle on then mun; mek our own steam.

It's OK, I'm on my way to to the cloakroom. 

• Haha 2

If there's no external vent, could it be something as simple as a stuck closed AAV on top of the stack?  There should be something to let air in at the top, and if there's no external vent then the chances are there's an AAV up in the loft space.  Maybe this has just stuck closed.  Easy way to check is go up there and check.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Easy way to check is go up there and check.

Not so easy, apparently; Pocster wrote:

So the vertical soil stack goes up into the 1st floor flat then into the loft space (no idea what's ontop of it) - the hatch is tiny; I can't fit in it!

Need a slim plumber. Tricky.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

How would a very nice boy like you know?

Presumably he escaped somehow when they tried to throttle him ?

@pocster

Is the cause your T not behaving in a tenant-like manner? In which case you could probably recover some of it or charge it to the deposit. Perhaps the investigation and repair costs, but not improving the pipe.

Lord Denning, Warren v keen, 1954.

Held: The defects particularised were due to fair wear and tear for which a weekly tenant was not liable. His only obligation is to use the premises in a tenant-like manner and therefore, the landlord was not entitled to recover. 
Lord Denning said: ‘The tenant must take proper care of the place. He must, if he is going away for the winter, turn off the water and empty the boiler. He must clean the chimneys, where necessary, and also the windows. He must mend the electric light when it fuses. He must unstop the sink when it is blocked by his waste. In short, he must do the little jobs about the place which a reasonable tenant would do. In addition, he must, of course, not damage the house, wilfully or negligently; and he must see his family and guests do not damage it: and if they do, he must repair it.’ and ‘if the house falls into disrepair through fair wear and tear or lapse of time, or for any reason not caused by him, the tenant is not liable to repair it.’ 

https://swarb.co.uk/warren-v-keen-ca-1954/

I wouldn't normally bother about this unless it was blatant, as my Ts tend to be so long term that it is far better for me to find out what caused it and ask them not to do it again. The last time was a blockage caused by "flushable medical wipes" in a slack drain.

Ferdinand

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Presumably he escaped somehow when they tried to throttle him ?

@pocster

Is the cause your T not behaving in a tenant-like manner? In which case you could probably recover some of it or charge it to the deposit. Perhaps the investigation and repair costs, but not improving the pipe.

Lord Denning, Warren v keen, 1954.

Held: The defects particularised were due to fair wear and tear for which a weekly tenant was not liable. His only obligation is to use the premises in a tenant-like manner and therefore, the landlord was not entitled to recover. 
Lord Denning said: ‘The tenant must take proper care of the place. He must, if he is going away for the winter, turn off the water and empty the boiler. He must clean the chimneys, where necessary, and also the windows. He must mend the electric light when it fuses. He must unstop the sink when it is blocked by his waste. In short, he must do the little jobs about the place which a reasonable tenant would do. In addition, he must, of course, not damage the house, wilfully or negligently; and he must see his family and guests do not damage it: and if they do, he must repair it.’ and ‘if the house falls into disrepair through fair wear and tear or lapse of time, or for any reason not caused by him, the tenant is not liable to repair it.’ 

https://swarb.co.uk/warren-v-keen-ca-1954/

I wouldn't normally bother about this unless it was blatant, as my Ts tend to be so long term that it is far better for me to find out what caused it and ask them not to do it again. The last time was a blockage caused by "flushable medical wipes" in a slack drain.

Ferdinand

My T’s are fine . But ground floor not mine and don’t care .

i think as @JSHarris has said need to check the vent ( assuming there is one ) ontop stack . Access hole must be 45cm by 30cm I would guess . Maybe less . I’ll try and measure it . Need small plumber friendly child ...