DIY building regs drawings

Tennentslager

They look good but you probably need a lot more noted detail / specification for the BC people. EG specification of timbers (C16 / C24) - spacings, RSJs etc. We (English - rules apply here) had to provide all the structural calculations for ours and a set of section details showing how the flashing, DMP, DPC, drain runs etc worked. As you have a PC I would get a copy of DRAFTSIGHT (Its free) and learn to drive it as it makes editing drawings so much easier - right first time is very hard on paper unless you have a lifetime of experience to support you.  

11 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

I still have to add the text. Question is, are the drawings suitable?

My BC drawings are covered with technical notes most of which look like standard cut & paste industry prose relevant to my chosen build route.

If you are confident about your design & building skills there is always the "as built" BC option. My pro self build neighbour is doing this. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Hi @the_r_sole I started a new thread so others can make sense of this.

Here is the blurb I have so far for the text to go with the drawings.

Still need some stuff on process re acrow props and whatever else the forum can cut and paste for me.

The beam calcs were done using beam calcs online.

Council say they will put these calss out to tender to an engineer at their cost to check them.

BLURB

Electric schedule

DOUBLE 13 AMP SS OUTLET

Socket outlets to be located a minimum of 350mm from any internal corner and positioned between 400 and 1200mm above finished floor level, any sockets above an obstruction should be located 150mm above projecting surface.

Light switches to be located 900-100mm above floor level.

Electrical installation to be carried out to current IEE standards and to BS 7671 2008 and to be certified by a select registered electrician. Certificate of completion to be provided to Building Control prior to completion certificate for works.

All works will comply with the current Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations.

All structural steels will be in accordance with BS EN 1090-1:2009 (+A1:2001)

All downtakings will be in accordance with BS 6187:2011 (1.1)

To be added spec for temporary supports (1.1)

Temporary supports via use of Acrow props and sole boards.

All padstones to be fixed in place with a 1:4 mortar mix with 100mm minimum bearing load.

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2018 at 11:14, the_r_sole said:

tbh, when it's just a simple knock through it's only really falling under one section of the regs, are you updating or changing electrics too? you might want to add a new smoke detector on there.

As said you want to add a bit more notation, add the door swings into drawing.

Show the kitchen layout and mark it as Existing Kitchen (unaltered) - room names generally, position of existing extraction fan, 

Do you have a fire or woodburner? If so you'll need to add a note about carrying out a spillage test to the relevant BS 

Show a dashed line for the beam over and note "to engineers design and specification" also add the same note to the padstones

It's a pretty blunt exercise tbh - make a note of things you aren't changing, like drainage, external walls/insulation etc

I usually add red hatching onto the existing drawing showing the extent of downtakings - if you want to pm me your email address I can send over some of the notes I used recently on a wee job

They'll come back with queries too, they always do!

Thanks guys,

I'm back on this now and want to get something submitted before Christmas.

@the_r_sole I'll pm you.

I think I need some words about method...like 

'downtakings supported by X acrow props at X centres'

I'll post my final drawings here before submitting