Brise soleil

vivienz

I think may have hit a snag.

All along, I have planned to have a brise soleil in front of my ground to roof height window in front of the stairwell, but I have stupidly neglected to think about how this is going to be supported against the sealed up timber frame without damaging that seal.

The window is 1m wide and over 5m tall, so clearly there is quite a weight to be supported by my timber frame.

I'm waiting for replies back from a couple of companies but I'm not feeling very optimistic at this stage having spoken to one who bombarded me with questions about what window system I'm having and then told me I should have called him 5 months ago when he might have been able to do something. He may have been right, but he was still an unhelpful and patronizing tosser.

Has anyone else put a brise soleil up against a timber frame and how have you done it?

Penetrations into any aspect of the frame, either inside or out of the airtight later can easily be executed to maintain such integrity. Weight shouldn’t be an issue as you have 5m to make fixings into the frame from either side. Eg 5m and fixing every 300nm would give you 16 brackets each side. You could hang a car off that. 

Your only concerns here should be the ability and integrity of the person(s) you choose to undertake this work. Ask for a ‘method statement’ and see how they plan to mitigate.  

Do you know what materials you want this to be constructed from?  Do the louvres need to be variable or fixed pitch? Do you need access to clean the windows?

I can't see why these would be tricky.  Can they not sit on the ground at the bottom?  Have a chat to several potential suppliers then send some drawings to price.  Get the price to include detail design drawings and better to do supply and fit.  If the cladding is not yet complete all the better as there may be more fixing options, but this looks like a second fix item to me.

Thanks, both.

I was concerned about not being able to fix into the external wall but as this isn't an issue, that's fine.

The cladding isn't on yet and won't be for a while as there are various bits of extenal wiring that need to be run outside, e.g. lighting, alarm, motorised external roller blind.  The louvres themselves will be fixed pitch and don't need to be adjustable, so that one less complication.

Phew!  Thanks again, chaps.  The hive mind comes to the rescue again, and again, and again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

We did these horizontal ones in powder coated alluminium.  There is a bracket at each end and one in the centre behind the slates which fixed to the outside of the timber frame with several coach screws.

P1010263.thumb.JPG.2d1d0f22568f1f5d701b7ac98d5146e1.JPG

Sorry to take this off topic @Mr Punter but I'm literally window shopping at the moment and like the look of your, erm, windows!

6 minutes ago, Juj said:

Sorry to take this off topic @Mr Punter but I'm literally window shopping at the moment and like the look of your, erm, windows!

The windows were Velfac.  IdealCombi do a similar looking system.  The doors were another make.  The lower part of the windows was obscured due to planning / overlooking constraints.

19 hours ago, vivienz said:

Thanks, both.

I was concerned about not being able to fix into the external wall but as this isn't an issue, that's fine.

The cladding isn't on yet and won't be for a while as there are various bits of extenal wiring that need to be run outside, e.g. lighting, alarm, motorised external roller blind.  The louvres themselves will be fixed pitch and don't need to be adjustable, so that one less complication.

Phew!  Thanks again, chaps.  The hive mind comes to the rescue again, and again, and again!

If you design the mountings before the cladding goes on you can make sure you have sufficient “meat” to fix into in the right places.

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...