UFH downstairs but nothing upstairs?

Roz

I recently had a 9kW ASHP off eBay for a client new surplus stock for £700. Others here have found them even cheaper. 

Inverter driven but not ErP, but at that price it’s disposable. 

Find out exactly how deep you can dig out and get as much insulation in the floor as possible. 

Is the oil combi already there? What makes you say you can’t you afford an ASHP? Any PV planned ?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

I recently had a 9kW ASHP off eBay for a client new surplus stock for £700. Others here have found them even cheaper. 

Inverter driven but not ErP, but at that price it’s disposable. 

Find out exactly how deep you can dig out and get as much insulation in the floor as possible. 

Is the oil combi already there? What makes you say you can’t you afford an ASHP? Any PV planned ?

That's interesting. We were understanding that they were in the thousands to buy and have installed. The size of the place makes it likely we will have to move after maybe, 5 years, (we haven't had kids yet!) so we can't value any renewables by saying they will pay off over 20 years. 

Inverter driven but not ErP - what does this mean? ?

How do you get hot water for baths if you have a ASHP?

Right... possibly a quick chat with @Nickfromwales as that will easily take a sunamp and you could hide it in a kitchen cupboard and run with electric for your hot water and ASHP for the heating. Looks like lots of glass in that build too so I would have a chat about upping the spec in the roof insulation. 

16 hours ago, Roz said:

@Nickfromwales I've just remembered in our last rental property they had an ASHP and a very massive water tank, which I am guessing we would need too. Are you allowed to put these outside?

You really wouldnt want to put the hot water tank outside ! If you have a garage or similar where the elements could be kept off it at least then id consider an airing cupboard affair with a good bit of rock wool insulation stuffed inside to keep it wrapped up and minimise lost heat.