Exterior lights - connecting to twin and earth

jack

Hello

Just about to install some exterior lights. At the moment, we have lengths of twin and earth coming out at each location (in pairs, where the light is part of a ring). They exit some PVC conduit close to the wall, having come from inside the vented cavity behind bricks slips on cement board .

How can I best connect this to a floodlight? Slip some conduit over it and then make the connection in an exterior junction box?

What about where I want to install a rear-entry light without a visible junction box? Any reason not to just connect straight out of the wall and into the back of the light? How well, if at all, will a cable gland seal to the non-round cross section of T& E? And how do I handle this when there are pairs of cable? Unfortunately, the conduit that comes through the wall has been cut off almost flush, or perhaps I'd have been able to put that through the gland.

Thanks as always. 

58 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I normally connect straight in.  Bit of silicone if you are worried.

I may well be overthinking it. My electrician is insanely cautious and meticulous (to the point where I really can't afford to have him come and install all these lights). Some of his attitude has rubbed off on me!

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Rubber grommet in the back of the lamp if you can/required say if through a metal fitting. BFO slug of silicon on the back of the light in a U shape, left open at the bottom. Screw lamp on wall. connect.

Sounds reasonable. It's a metal fitting, so grommet required for sure. 

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Fyi you CAN get glands for T&E:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTEG2.html

I found that a few mins ago, thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help where I have two cables looping and out!